Force replacement coil issues

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased new coils here on Iboats for a 1990 Force 90HP engine that had the blue coil packs. Now the engine keeps killing spark plugs. I did a resistance check and the old coil packs are around 290ohms. The replacement packs are a little over 1000 ohms. By part number these are supposed to be a direct replacement but I'm assuming this is the problem? The old coils were removed because the wires were all in bad shape, I only have one of them now. All three cylinders will kill the plug within a few minutes of run time. Plugs are the ones listed by part number BUHX or something like that.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I would say that you probably have something else going on that is causing loss of spark. Have you checked the resistance of the stator ?

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did check it last year and replaced it. The boat was running ok before changing the coils, it just looked like a light show if you pulled the bowling off at night and started the engine

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The plugs are actually bad once they are ran on this engine, I have tested them in another engine and they don't spark. Then put new plugs back into the problem engine and they spark again for a few minutes until it burns them out

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do all 4 plugs burn out?
​That so? I'd do a voltage output test on the stator and the trigger leads.
​You'll need a peak reading volt meter to do these tests.
Look on this site for directions on how to make one.