force lower unit

Emmit

Recruit
120HP force OB how do I take off lower unit.I unbolted 5 bolts but back of unit seams stuck.this is a 1996 or 1997.is ther something more i need todo.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: force lower unit

Emmitt:<br />Welcome to iboats, hopefully, you will get all your answers here. The manual calls for shifting into forward gear before removing the lower unit. You might have to turn the prop a little by hand to get the gears engaged. Being in forward gear should allow the shift linakge to separate which may be your problem. Good luck.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You need to remove the trim tab, then remove the bolt that is up inside the trim tab pocket. Then remove the other 4 bolts.<br /><br />Sometimes you need a wooden block, a rubber mallet, and a little persuasion.<br /><br />Having the shifter and the lower unit in forward, will properly index the shifter during re-assembly.

Emmit

Recruit

Originally posted by Emmit:<br /> 120HP force OB how do I take off lower unit.I unbolted 5 bolts but back of unit seams stuck.this is a 1996 or 1997.is ther something more i need todo.

Emmit

Recruit

still no luck shifted to forward turned prop took out five bolts including one under tap.I pried hit with hammer wedged and cursed.What am I missing.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I hope the drive shaft is not siezed onto the powerhead. Just remember when you finally get it off to use anti sieze compound on the splines of the drive shaft that connect to the power head.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Eurolarva may have a point. Ihad the same thing happen on a 50 hp force. I used a long pry bar and wound up pulling the water pump impeller key through the husing. This left the drive shaft lodged in the powerhead. I finally got it out by using a pair of vice grips and a pipe wrench to fashion a "slide hammer". Keep trying, just try not to crack the lower unit or exhasut leg.

Emmit

Recruit

Got it. I was sweating Hammering kicking and all. Then I just took a screw driver on one side and one on the outher side and hit one a little then the outher and wala droped down. thanks for all the help.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Anti sieze compound cost about 3 bucks a tube and one tube will last a life time. Just a dab will do you. Any auto parts store will carry it. Glad you got it off.