Force 85hp won't start

spike_87

Cadet
Re: Force 85hp won't start

Well I changed the diaphram and it still doesn't start. As before, when I pump the bulb a nice full steam comes out but when I crank the motor over hardly anything comes out. I'm assuming the valves in the fuel pump are good because they are clean and seem to spring back up into place when pushed down. I know JerryJerry05 suggested that I check compression but I can't get the engine started, can I reliably check compression if the engine won't start? If so, what is the best proceedure?

chitownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you dont need to start the motor to check the compression, take the spark plug out, screw in your compression tester and crank your motor over a few revolutions and look at your tester it will have the compression numbers on it, push the button on the tester[reset] put plug back in and go to the next one, all three should be at least 100 or over and within 10 percent of each other. when you get your reading post em, hope this helps you out don

john from md

Commander

First, buy a Clymer manual as you will need it if you plan to keep the engine. Next, do the engine will not start trouble shooting in the FAQ.

You are assuming it is fuel but it could be that the ignition switch is bad or your kill wire got shorted to ground.

You need to check everthing in an orderly manner or you will spend money needlessly and spin your wheels without accomplishing anything.

John

spike_87

Cadet

Thanks for the advise. I have checked compression and all three cylinders register right at 110 so I think I'm good there. I tried to type in "engine will not start" in FAQ but it came up that it couldn't find anything. Is there something else I need to do to access?

chitownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, now we know compression is ok, one thing to check in the fuel pump is the center check valve the one with the two screws that hold it place. there is a gasket behind it maybe it went south on you and cant get the fuel up from the tank, and one other possiblity might be the gasket behind the pump its shaped like an out of shaped x with a small hole it the center if either two are defective they will cause problems with fuel delivery, youll get some flow but not what you need Don

spike_87

Cadet

I have the new gasket to put on the check valve and I'll look at the other one. thanks again.

spike_87

Cadet

can anyone tell me why I can't access FAQ to see the forum labeled "engine will not start" It tells me, "sorry no matches".

spike_87

Cadet

I tried to type in "engine will not start" in FAQ but it came up that it couldn't find anything. Is there something else I need to do to access?

john from md

Commander

Just go to the FAQ in the maintenance section and scroll through it. There are several good troubleshooting procedures in it.

John

spike_87

Cadet

update: I rebuilt all three carburetors and installed a new fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump and it fixed the problem. My engine now runs, but haven?t been able to take it out because the lakes are frozen here.

Problem: Engine won't start

Things I tried to get it started:
1. changed the diaphragm on the fuel pump
2. rebuilt all 3 carbs with new parts
3. drained all the old fuel out, sucked the tank dry and re-filled with clean fuel
4. installed new fuel/bulb hose

Not exactly sure which one fixed it but it was one of the last 3 items.

Hope my experience helps someone else

Spike

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

not trying to be a smart butt ,but have you checked the vent in the tank to make sure it's not stopped up or closed? I know that's something simple,but it will give you conditions similar to what you are having.Also check the pick up tube in the tank to see if it's broke off,the check valves need to be replaced if they have been in the pump for any length of time because the early valves had an issue with the alcohol that's in the fuel now days. The newer valves are more resistant to the harmful effects of alcohol on the rubberized check valve. Hope these suggestions help,and as always keep us posted with your results as they could help someone else. MOPARMAN ROLL TIDE ROLL: 13-0 championship bound:D:D:D gonna hook texas horns

spike_87

Cadet

I have an issue with my bow light. It wouldn't light up so I assumed it was the bulb. I bought a new bulb and that didn't fix the problem. I looked for other issues with the light connections and didn't find any so I just bought another bow light. Guess what??? It didn't work either so I hooked the new light up directly up to the battery and it worked. I then suspected the wiring to be bad so I checked the wires themselves leading up to the bow light and they have twelve volts. But when I hook the light up it won't come on. How can I have twelve volts coming out of the wires, and the light (which I have confirmed to work) will not light up????

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I have an issue with my bow light. It wouldn't light up so I assumed it was the bulb. I bought a new bulb and that didn't fix the problem. I looked for other issues with the light connections and didn't find any so I just bought another bow light. Guess what??? It didn't work either so I hooked the new light up directly up to the battery and it worked. I then suspected the wiring to be bad so I checked the wires themselves leading up to the bow light and they have twelve volts. But when I hook the light up it won't come on. How can I have twelve volts coming out of the wires, and the light (which I have confirmed to work) will not light up????

clean the terminal ends of your feed wires...

spike_87

Cadet

By terminal ends...do you mean where they hook up under the dash?