Force 85 set-up

Craig cK

Seaman
Hey guys!<br /><br />Wonder if you can help me at all? I've spent about 2 hours on it now and me back is killing me!<br /><br />I have a small RIB with a Force 85hp which was only developing 27 knots so figured something was up. I removed the carb covers and found the throttle butterflies were hardly opening. <br />I have since fiddled with all the settings and buggered the whole lot up trying to fix it!<br />Could anyone point me in what direction to go to set up the timing etc etc. I presume there is an order to set these things up? I don't really want to invest in the workshop manual as I suspect it will never be used again and am normally pretty good with all things mechanical.<br /><br />Your help is greatly appreciated!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 85 set-up

Lync and sync on a multi carb 2 stroke requires a manual, preferably an oem factory manual. Clymer repair manual may get you thru it. Don't want to buy one?, try the local library technical publications department.<br /><br />If you don't get it right, she'll blow up, literally.

Craig cK

Seaman

Ok....well I see the timing marks etc so presumably I use a timing light powered off no. 1 cylinder. Is it not just as simple as that?<br /><br />Set up the initial timing under cranking and then confirm when running?<br /><br />The thing that scares me is how the timing advances when the throttle is opened. Will this just sort itself out?<br /><br />or is it a case of cranking the engine and setting up the timing with WOT?<br /><br />Thanks guys! Really don't want to get the manual if I can possibly help it! For a start it would take ages to get shipped! I think you guys can help more quickly!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Initial setting of timing is easy.<br />Setting the timing advance with the linkage and cam can be touchy.<br /><br />""I have since fiddled with all the settings and buggered the whole lot up trying to fix it!""<br /><br />Not knowing what settings you fiddled with, it is hard to say how to fix it.<br />Would hate to give you bad advice and cause more trouble.<br />I have oem factory manuals, but none that cover your motor, so couldn't advise anyway.

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First of all if your butterflies weren't opening all the way why did you mess with the timing linkage? I don't know what year your motor is but I can tell you on my motor (1986 85hp prestolite ignition) WOT #1 cylinder 28 degrees BTDC. If it is not a prestolite it should be 30 degrees. Your flywheel should have marks for this. Check timing by cranking not starting.

Craig cK

Seaman

Thanks guys! I played with the timing as I couldn't seam to manage to get the engine to tick over while at the same time be able to obtain full throttle. It seams to be a bit of a balancing act! <br /><br />Fingers crossed!<br /><br />I'll have a go and keep you all posted.

t.martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you get the timing set I would rebuild the carbs. I think that is where your problem lies.

Craig cK

Seaman

I've re-built the carbs they are fine, yu can physically see the butterflies were only opening say a 1/4 of the amount they should.<br /><br />Just invested in a timing light...so off to play!

Craig cK

Seaman

All good! Been out for some sea trials and she's back up there at 35 knots or so. Wahoo!<br /><br />However, she's now not ticking over, but I hope I can sort that tomorrow!<br /><br />Also want to set the timing to 28 or so...but that's not a priority at the mo!<br /><br />Thanks for all your help!