Force 50 hp, hard to start cold although timed and synced properly

ZandoR

Seaman
Thank you!
What years do you refer to as "early" gearcases?
Im still hoping that you find that pinion gear of yours though :p

Nordin

Commander
I refer to 1965 to about 1975 I think as early. These gearcases had a "nose cone". A taper at the lower housing.

I looked in my "spare part" stock and found one pinion gear, thought I had some more, but no.

Send me a PM and we can maybe make a deal.

BTW There is one pinion for sale at Ebay. Search "Mercury bevel pinion"

The partnumber is 43-819261T1

Last edited:

ZandoR

Seaman
Ok I think its time to almost wrap it up!

I received the pinion from Nordin and put the LU back together again. Problems I encountered were that the old bearing did not fit former reverse gear as the outer diameter was a few hundreds bigger than the inside of the bearing. Got it machined off and worked like a charme. It now shifts smooth and does not pop out of gear. I also machined the former forward gear which was easier than expected.

Motor runs great, it just needs another tuneup as the lync and sync got messed up again. Anyways, not a biggy.

There is just one more concern:
At the beginning I had no water stream at the tell tale at all. Pulled the LU, inspected impeller key and water tube alignement, nothing seemed wrong. Put it back on and had a water stream. At idle it changes between a really weak and a strong stream about every 3-5 seconds. Took out the thermostat as the water was quite warm but nothing changed. At WOT the stream is strong and well visible. After idling for a bit I cant hold my hand on the block for longer than 2-5 seconds.
Am I having an overheating issue? (Temp alarm never went on)

So far I really want to thank everyone that helped me. You guys have been truely amazing and it is greatly appreciated!

ZandoR

Seaman
About to have another go at it. Any thoughts on the cooling water issue?
​Thanks in advance Leo

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If you had the impeller out you should have changed it.

​A cheapo heat gun saves me a LOT of time when working on any motor.

What condition was the thermo? Dirty? Clogged? Pics?

Test the overheat system.
​The orange lead in the harness is to the buzzer. Ground it out(key on) the buzzer should sound.

ZandoR

Seaman
Thanks for your response Jerry, Thermo looked ok given it is 20yrs old. Motor was ran in freshwater only. As a matter of fact I do have a replacement impeller, but the old one seemed really new. Will test the overheat buzzer and report back