Force 150..Im stumped

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all. I also read the great help TMD and Force01 give and hope it all can be worked out.<br /><br />I have a 150 F-5 Force on a 19 ft Arriva. Normally it runs great. Earlier this summer I had to rebuild the carbs as a result of a loss of top end and RPM's. The top carb was drowning the cylinder due to what I suspect was a sticking float. I tore them down, cleaned and rebuild them (if you could really call it that). Before doing that I did confirm the compression was good 150 plus or minus 4 across the board. Following the rebuld it ran great (for several weekends) until this past weekend. <br /><br />I became a bit hard to start but would wind out fine right up until WOT (about 5300)when it would suddenly fell like a cylinder went dead. Would throttle back and slowly go up again and it would miss up until almost WOT and repeat the process. It would idle down to a really low 4-500, stutter, and then die. I could only get it to idle by engaging the fast idle (pulling the stick out and foward). I pulled the plugs and all but the top one were normally coated and wet. The toip one was mildly coated but did have fuel on it.<br /><br />I was wondering if I may have messed up something in the carbs during rebuild but it ran great after that for several weeks. It wasnt that big of a deal to do them nor adjust them in after reinstallation. I read the earlier posts about black vs red stator and did have a black one installed a few years ago (from similar symptoms). I plan to do a comp check but think I may have a stator going/gone bad again....or maybe a pack. <br /><br />IM going back up this weekend and will do a comp check. I didnt have my guage with me last weekend. Im thinking that a good comp reading (s) should point to the stator or ignition components. Any opinions would be appreciated.<br /><br />Hey F-5, how did that rebuild go??

gotsaved

Seaman
Re: Force 150..Im stumped

i have a 1988 125hp force and had kinda the same problem. it ran fine after i rebuilt the carbs.suddenly it started doing the same thing at wot. you won't beleive what i found out the problem was. some how i had the floats in upside down. it is hard to beleive it ran all summer like that. now it runs great.

force01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are on the right track. the first thing i would do is take a compression test then go from there. thank, bret<br />If you need further assistance please email me @ forcepower01@yahoo.com. thanks,Bret

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bret,<br />Went back up and did the comp checks with a newer guage and they are still fine (155 plus or minus 5) across the board. It looks like I may have messed something up on my carb rebuild project as the top one was leaking fuel (again - you could actually see the mist coming out of the throat). My guess is a still stuck float or something neot seating right. <br /><br />Going to take it to a pro (a freind of ours). I thought I could do it myself but apparently I must have not did something right and it came back to haunt me. It did run perfect right after I rebuilt them though. Thanks again for the reply<br /><br />Deerdog

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Mist comming out of the top carb sounds more like a reed problem. Remove the carb and have a peek inside. Look for a broken or cracked reed.<br /><br />TMD

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Doc,<br /><br />After reading your reply I had one of those Simpson "DOOOOOHHHHS." I never looked but will definitely do so. I assumed it was my rebuild job. The thing ran perfect for several outings after rebuilding though so I really never thought to look there. Thanks for the tip.<br /><br />BTW...If you can answer this without gettin inot any trouble: What do you see the most problems with on the 150 Forces. Would love to hear what you have to say. Force 01, if you are listening would love your take also on this<br /><br />Thanks<br />Deerdog

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Reeds..floats and the electronics.<br /><br />Mechanically its a strong engine.<br /><br />TMD