Force 125 powerhead removal

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Help=?? Iam removing ( trying to) a 4 cylinder force powerhead. I have removed every studs -Nuts I can see -all are around the bottom of the lower cover That is removed=i believe 10 of them? Lower unit is still attached to exhaust housing. I cannot seem to get the powerhead to budge/ unstick from the mounting area.I dont believe i need to remove the lower unit to do so? Am i missing some hidden nuts somewhere??I do not see any "Bolts" anywhere? only studs= from block downward.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
If it is earlier than 1994, the block is held to the midleg by 6 studs and nuts on the rear and six bolts on the front. Once all bolts and stud nuts have been removed the block and match plate will still be stuck to the midleg. Some of the studs may have corrosion holding them in the midleg flange.Judicious prying, heating, and force are necessary. There are two pry tabs on the back of the block but don't use too much force or you will break them and ruin the match plate.

Once you do get it to move have a bunch of spacers available to keep the block up while you wedge it. The block weighs about 100 pounds and is awkward so have some help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The lower cowl needs to come off.
The mating surface was silicone'd .
The head lifts straight up and like Frank said be very careful when prying.
You mess up the mating surfaces the exhaust will leak into the cowl.

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is actually a 1997 120 hp engine - I have the -* studs/ un nutted. there are some small head 1/2" bolts (2 )@ port side of front of block area=lower leg is off. There are also 2 of the same type small bolts on stbd side yet seem to only hold on a bracket for shifter linkage.? I will be careful on the prying too. Just seems funny to me that this block is stuck so securely!?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I was removing an 85 and was using a tree.
I hooked the lifting ring to the come along and it actually lifted the rear of the boat off the trailer.
Sometimes a small torch heating the base can help.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I dont recommend it but I sat up on the side of my motor and gave it a swift sideways kick with both feet and it popped loose......
That was after all else failed....
I didn't try to kill it....just a firm nudge...

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have everything I can see unbloted!! The lower cowl -wont come off! I will try jacking up on a couple of powerhead studs on 1 side in am tomorrow. Lower unit is off.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF you can't get the lower cover off then your not getting the one nut on the back of the adapter plate.

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Finally off!! just really stuck @ base gaskets. Never had any powerhead this stuck!!