Force 125 #3 cylinder compression = 25 ARGH!!!!

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Force outboard 125 1251X9B

Motor ran rough (soon to be obvious why) took in to local marine repair shop and got the bad news, compression on #3 was at 25#. Mechanic quoted to re bore, new pistons rings and related parts and seals at $1500.00. I won't put that money into my motor, so I would like to pull it apart myself, hoping for some tips or some possible solutions besides boring and new pistons like mechanic said. Are there other possibilites? any tips? (hopefully besides paying the 1500 for someone else to do it) any and all advice will be welcomed.

thanks

Brian

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force 125 #3 cylinder compression = 25 ARGH!!!!

one other thing,the mechanic never got past the compression check, I figured I didn't want him to charge me to take it apart if I wasn't going to have him fix it right away, so I am not sure the extent of the cylinder damage if any.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Pull the head off and check, you may just have a blown head gasket.

If the damage is not severe with the cyl wall, you can sometimes hone that cyl and replace the piston while the powerhead is still mounted.

Cameo from TMD

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

unfortunately not just a head gasket, piston is damaged but cylinder doesn't look scored at all, I have some pics on another one of my posts. Also I have allready removed the powerhead, opening up crank case tomorrow to pull out piston and get a better look at the damage, and to take some measurments for new piston and rings. also going to check all others seeing as I allready busted a nut lifting that powerhead off!!! Now i know why the manual says use an appropriate lifting device...... I will use one when reinstalling for sure.

andreej

Recruit

sounds like you are doing it anyway but yes, if you feel confident in your skills i would tear it down yourself - buy new piston and rings as well as a full gasket set, and have the cylinder bored by a professional. You will spend at most 25% of what they wanted to charge you!

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

cost is why I am doing it myself, I figure if I get stuck I can always hand my shop the box of parts and I at least saved their labor to dissasemble it d:) , or just mail it away and get a remanufactured powerhead