force 125 1989 1988 bayliner 1900 series

I recently bought a 1988 bayliner for 800.00 dollars with a force 125 for a motor however the motor cranks it has a lack of power can not get over 30 mph full throttle an today for the second time being out on the water the motor over heated all of a sudden we were boating all day then all of a sudden the engine was over heating with smoke pooring out of the engine cover i have changed fuel line primer bulb an sprayed carb cleaner through the carbs other than that i am not to sure on what else to do. could anyone help me with my problems an tell me how to fix my new project before my wife makes me get rid of it thanks for any help provided

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: force 125 1989 1988 bayliner 1900 series

Hello and welcome to Iboats. Your biggest and worst problem is not fuel related. Your motor is water cooled and it is not getting the water circulated. Attached to the lower unit is a water pump and inside that water pump is an impeller that is probably not working. The lower unit will have to come off in order to inspect this. However because of the overheating you may have caused severe damage to the motor. The first thing you should do is get a compression test done to verify you have not burned out the motor. The second thing you need to do is buy a manual for your motor if you want to do your own work. You can click here on the link for a manual. force outboard manual <br />Get the compression tested and post the numbers here. Someone here will help you with the next step.<br /><br />Good luck

Re: force 125 1989 1988 bayliner 1900 series

Thank you for the advise as soon as i notice that the motor was over heating i shut off the engine an got towed out of the water an have not tried anything else since that time i will do a compression test an post the numbers