Force 120 won't idle

ksoltis

Cadet
Hello all,

I know this topic may have been covered some on here already but I was hoping I could get some more advice than what I've found already. I have a 97 force 120 and over a few weeks this summer it started to get harder to start, especially when warm. Once it started it ran great until one day it died and then would no longer idle. It starts right up if I give it throttle in neutral but as soon as I back it down to idle it shuts off. I checked the timing, its at 30 so I figured I would leave it there. I replaced the spark plugs and pulled the carbs out and cleaned them, adjusted the fuel mixture on both and synced everything. I may double check that when I get back over to the boat just to be sure, but at this point Im pretty much out of ideas. I havent checked the compression because it ran great before it died. When running in neutral with throttle it runs well besides the occasional sputter which it also wasnt doing before the trouble started. Any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I would love to fix this myself before I send it to the shop and pay them $100/hr.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome.
Need to do a compression test.
​Compression can change from trip to trip.
Spark test?
Water in the fuel?
Run with the cover off.
Run with a spare tank.
Idle at 800 in gear and warm.
Set carb air screws at 1 and 1/2 out. Then adjust while warm and in the water.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
If doing what Jerry suggested doesn't turn anything up, might want to check the reeds. They have a reputation for cracking and or breaking off on the 1995 and later models.

ksoltis

Cadet
Thanks guys. I have done the cover on and off and that didn't change anything. It will idle at 800, which it didn't do before I did the work that I already did. Before then at 1000 it would slowly sputter and die, however this is all in neutral because I cant back it down to idle to get it out of neutral and into gear. I will check the rest next time I'm over there. Does anyone know where I can download a manual? I dont mind paying for it I just dont want to have to wait for shipping.