For you Harbor Freighters.........

bigdee

Commander
. There are torque settings in your service manuals for a reason.

For the dumbazz that over tightens bolts! Except on race cars I have never seen a mechanic use a torque wrench on every fastener. Engine assembly,valve covers,sump pans, differential covers,alloy wheel lugs, auto tranny clutch bands, are a few items that should be torqued.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
For the dumbazz that over tightens bolts! Except on race cars I have never seen a mechanic use a torque wrench on every fastener. Engine assembly,valve covers,sump pans, differential covers,alloy wheel lugs, auto tranny clutch bands, are a few items that should be torqued.
To add...O2 sensors, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, water pump, spark plugs idler pulleys, anything connected to aluminum heads, suspension parts...

On boats anything with the sterndrive, exhaust manifolds and risers and all above. People wonder why they get water in their bellows after removing the sterndrive. Of course they don't use a torque wrench and follow the instructions to torque in sequences and in stages like the service manual shows.

Just t name a few!

Definition of a dumbazz...one that doesn't own or use a torque wrench.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have a friend who is a mechanical engineer who does case work in liability cases.

And that's why manuals have torque specs for every nut and bolt.

After many, many, many years of tightening lugnuts you eventually get a "feel" for whether it's tight enough or not. When cars used to have mainly steel wheels you tightened until you heard the "squeek". I don't torque wheels.

Now intake manifold, head bolts, internal engine bolts/nuts, they do get torqued.... Carb nuts, naw...... Spark plugs, naw..... Alternator, starter etc, naw...... A bunch of bolts on my snowmobiles, naw...... Again, a guy gets a feel for a lot of that stuff...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
BTW, I thought we were taking about HF tools, not "to torque or not to torque".........:)

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
I have been meaning to get a new bearing driver set, appears my other has grown legs and escaped my possession.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
I do that when i can. I do feild service work and never know when or where I will have to replace a bearing and race set. Sometimes heating the part and freezing the races they drop in with room to spare.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Not a big fan of the few things I've purchased. Did buy the buffer that a lot of people on this forum raved about and it did work to buff my plow just fine. Need to use it more to get a good feel if its a decent product.

These are geared more for the woodworker. May come in handy for Dry Dockers..... The clamps I could see using to fix the table I have...

Which buffer is it that you guys are buying? I need one for the boat and my shower door panels are gnarly after 12 years with the PO.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Mine is a Drill Master. Used it once so far and it's already outlasted some other HF power tools.....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Mine is a Drill Master. Used it once so far and it's already outlasted some other HF power tools.....

sounds like you have had some bad luck. I have so many HF tools and have hardly had any issues. Years ago I had a Pakistani combo wrench break on the open end. That was before they had all the nicely finished wrenches. The only thing else that failed quickly was a compressor water separator/regulator. Otherwise, I am overjoyed at the collection I have. My latest purchase was a $38. (w/coupon) electric chainsaw. It is fabulous for quick medium sized projects.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The only reason I bought the buffer is because so many guys recommended it here. Otherwise, I'm done walking thru their doors. Yep, nothing but bad luck...

Pusher

Lieutenant

Well, I had my 20% off coupon in hand ready to buy today. Guess I'll save it for a new tarp. Drill master has a lifetime warranty doesn't it Wimusky? I used their tile grout sander without complaint so maybe I'll follow your lead on this.

Which model, and how did it perform?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
It's the one Boomyal linked to. Standard warranty is 90 days. I'm sure you can get an extended one. But for the price if it craps out I'll junk it and get a name brand. I've only used it once. Seemed to have plenty of power and didn't bog out. A lot of guys on this forum liked it, so I thought what the heck...... Sorry for the lack of info. Just really haven't used it. Plan on buffing the boat with it in the spring.....

Others could share their experience to give you a better feel for the product....

gm280

Supreme Mariner

bigdee

Commander
bruceb58, those multi tools are always welcome in most any shop. Does the HF one get hio as you use it? Seem most others do and you have to hold them so not to cover over the vent holes. But there are certainly place they can get to that no other tool can.

Great tool bargain. I have used my a ton putting down laminate floors. Yes the head gets hot but the motor does not. I took mine apart to check if it had grease and it had plenty. 8 years and many blades later it is still going. BTW the blades can be brought back to life with a dremel tool....nothing precise,just a series of v notches.