? for 1969 115 lower unit

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
have a 1969 115 jonny that "vomited" the lower unit oil out of the prop.i lowered the motor and it all poured out!someone told me its probaly just the prop seals.does that sound right?i have a great manuel but wasnt sure if i should just replace the prop seals or i should do them all?any input or help would be great thanks in advance.......<br /> ***1971 18'winner 1969 115 jonny***<br /> "THURSDAY"

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: ? for 1969 115 lower unit

Could just be the prop seals, or it could be a damaged housing. You won't know until you tear it down. You might as well replace all the seals while you're in there, though.<br /><br />Normally, prop seals don't leak explosively, unless they're completely destroyed, so look closely at the lower end housings when you have it apart.

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks ca,its funny cause we used the boat the day before tube sking fishing trolling,having a couple cold ones.we definetly didny hit anything or no funny noises shift fine all day just the next day went to leave for the ramp had to put the motor down for a sec and out came the milkshake thru the prop!!!!!!!!!grrrrrrrrr.when you say housing,do you mean the outside of the unit or is that internal?thanks for your help or input....<br /> ***1971 18'winner 1969 115 jonny***<br /> "THURSDAY"

CATransplant

Admiral

What I mean is the external housing for the gearcase. It would be very unusual to see a catastrophic seal failure that would have the oil just pour out of the gearcase.<br /><br />I don't know your engine intimately, but most outboards use a double seal on the output of the prop shaft. One faces inward, one outward. For both to fail completely would be very unusual, and that's what it would take to dump the oil out as you have described.<br /><br />The other reason would be a broken gearcase casting. You'll know when you pull the prop and examine the area. Just clean it up and look for cracks. If you find none, then resealing might just do the job. If you find a crack, then you'll need to open up your wallet a bit further.

CATransplant

Admiral

I went and looked at the blowup of your lower unit. There are, indeed, a pair of seals on the propshaft. <br /><br />A question: Have you recently changed props? If so, are you sure you assembled the thrust washer and thrust bushing properly (behind the prop)?<br /><br />Yours is one of the electric/hydraulic shift units. These are bit tricky to disassemble and repair. Lots of little parts. <br /><br />I'd pull the prop, have a look around to see if you can find any cracks. If not, try new seals on the prop shaft. That might be all that's wrong.

captain spike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ca,thanks for your input appreciate your time and input. ordered the prop seals $30 im going to do the prop seals and see if thats the culprit.thanks once again for all your help.also,havent touched the prop in four years of owning im hoping its just those seals.will post again when shes all back together....ps..old boats n motors do rule!!!<br /> ***1971 18'winner 1969 115 jonny***<br /> "THURSDAY"