Foot throttle question

1986mariner150

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi and thanks for looking at my post. I have a boat with a hotfoot installed that I got no instructions for. My question is when engaging the gears where do you set the hand throttle? All the way foward like wot on hand throttle? or is just far enough to get it in gear far enough? I added foot trim over the weekend as well so now I will be truly able to keep both hands on the wheel at all times except when shifting. I have experienced some bucking at wot and am wondering if I am engaging the L/U all the way. My friend the wrench said that if I was slipping the clutch it would be a one or 2 time thing before the foward gear went south due to the tourqe of the motor, 1996 Johnson Fast Strike 150.

delta breeze

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Foot throttle question

Hey Mariner,<br /> I've run Johnson's with a hot foot.The Console Shift,will only be effective of course for the shifting.It will not hurt a thing to put the shifter full fwd or aft.It will let you know that it is fully engaged,just be sure the engine is in idle position as it will dammage the clutches an gears in the lower unit.Hope I can help.Delta Breeze

LubeDude

Admiral

Since we are on the topic of Hot Foots, I have always wondered about them, How do you like it, I mean do you realy feel better and in more control? Also how is it when you are just cruising? Can you hold the speed well. Tell me about the things you like other than keeping both hands on the wheel. My boat now is running in the 65 MPH + range and have given this some thought.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've also seen steering wheel trim levers kinda like blinker switches on cars.

1986mariner150

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unless you address the trim switchs some of the time is still one hand on wheel. I have foot trim as well, now I am truely a 2 hands on wheel driver and loving it. The fact that it returns to idle any time you take your foot off it is a huge safty factor. The other thing i like about it is I believe it opens the throttle plates a little faster, I usually floor it jump on plane then back out a bit and trim accordingly. I know it will close them much faster if I need to slow in a hurry. Plus just lifting the foot is a natural reaction from years of driving cars. It has to be faster than moving the hand from the wheel then pulling the stick back. I don't usually have any problems holding a cruising speed except in rough water and have found my boat handles the chop better at pretty close to wide open, so I usually just floor it when the wind gets up. Overall I like it.