fogging oil for guns ?

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer
So, I was thinking, (yes I was thinking again:eek:), fogging oil keeps the cylinder walls and rings from rusting and was wondering if anyone has tried this on blued metal I was thinking of trying this but wanted to know if anyone out ther has had a good or bad experience with this.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer
Re: fogging oil for guns ?

I'm sure it won't hurt.....I use Rem Oil, though.

tswiczko

That's what I was thinking, but i was looking for more long term. I have used rem oil and find I have to do it about every 6 weeks here in the summer time ( high humidity),and have gone as far as using a desecant can and duct taping the door and any holes up but still have a slight moisture problem. It wouldn't be so bad if it were only afew guns but we're talking 4 cabinets holding 12 guns each, and one holding 8 that i shoot on a pretty regular basis the 8 I shoot I don't worry about too much because i use them often and they get oiled down regularly.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I remember pulling 20+ year old, never fired FN;s out of the case and taking off the wrappings and degreasing them. I dont know what kind of grease they used but they certainly were not going to rust.:)

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Hmm...I oil my guns and might not move one for 6 months. When I do, I always find them still shiny with Rem Oil.

Sounds like a lot of guns for cabinets...Aren't you worried about thieves?

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I remember pulling 20+ year old, never fired FN;s out of the case and taking off the wrappings and degreasing them. I dont know what kind of grease they used but they certainly were not going to rust.:)

They were packed in cosmoline.

tswiczko

I have use cosmoline and it works real well but if you want to shoot it you need to totaly clean it first.
and yes I do worry about criminals thats why the gun cabinets( safes actually;) ) are mounted to the structure of the building. if they wanted them bad enough they could wrap a chain around them and pull them out with a truck:eek:

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Why not put safe dehumidfier rods in them?

I got a dehumifier with my safe, but didn't put it in because the safe sits in the living room right by a heat duct. However, my dad uses one in his safe that is in his basement. He has never had an issue with rust.

ezbtr

Commander

Cosmoline................. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

So, I was thinking, (yes I was thinking again:eek:), fogging oil keeps the cylinder walls and rings from rusting and was wondering if anyone has tried this on blued metal I was thinking of trying this but wanted to know if anyone out ther has had a good or bad experience with this.

I have seen people spray weapons with wd-40, dip them in gasoline (Pre-ethanol ;)), spray slick 50 on them........ silicone...... lot's of methods.

First ....YOU are your weapons BIGGEST enemy....... if you fail to completely wipe down bluing you might be surprised to see your fingerprints in rust:eek: Human contact is the worst.

Get a de-humidifier for your cabinets and use a light oil. Spraying a fogging oil would not be my choice.

If you get rust on a blued surface use 0000 steel wool and gun oil to remove the rust.

The other alternative is to get your stuff coated with Cerakote Mil Spec finish. Done properly.... you could store your guns anywhere.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Why not put safe dehumidfier rods in them?

I got a dehumifier with my safe, but didn't put it in because the safe sits in the living room right by a heat duct. However, my dad uses one in his safe that is in his basement. He has never had an issue with rust.

I have one of those dehumidifiers in my big safe. I believe it's called a "Goldenrod" or something like that. It gets a little warm but does a good job. Never any rust on anything, and I store a lot of guns/knives, magazines, etc.

Here's a link: http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

A small light bulb will work just like the Goldenrods. Try lower wattage and work your way up until you get good results. You can pick up a cheap hygrometer(sp) to check moisture/humidity and keep track of the conditions in the safe.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

for long term storage get a can of mercury corrosion guard,Works great and can be removed with a mild solvent

aspeck

Staff member

Since you say they are in safes, I would do the dehumidifier rod, or light bulb thing to raise the temp and keep the humidity down. I keep my guns in the basement and every 6 months they get a "once over." I wear soft cloth gloves when doing this to keep the natural salt from my skin from touching the guns. I do not have a dehumidifier with the guns, but by doing this every 6 months without "touching" them seems to do the trick.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Years ago when I owned a gun shop I only use Eezox for my stocked merchandise. One good wipe down and no rust until sold, sometimes 12 months plus.

tswiczko

I had heard of eazox but do not know where to find it. I had used a golden rod dehumidifier but alas it dried out the stock on my springfield .45-70 and it SPLIT $450 dollars to replace the stock not doing that again now it's not completely original :mad:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

midwayusa.com carries it......or they used to as far as I know.

tswiczko

Thanks BoB I'll check them out