foam question,

Yankeyspeed

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have had my 17 Rinker V170 for about a year now. I just found out that before I bought it that it had sunk. I assume it has foam under the deck. What the likelihood that its all really nasty rotten under the deck? It feels solid.

BigLee324

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: foam question,

if it actually sank, then it is likely that water found its way into your foam, and foam holds water and does not dry out even after a long period of dry doc.It is very likely that the foam is wet and should be removed and replaced before it causes the stringers to rot.You can replace the foam with a closed cell foam like the blue or pink sheets sold at your local home improvement store. This type of foam will not soak up water and will help with floatation should you swamp the boat.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: foam question,

I have had my 17 Rinker V170 for about a year now. I just found out that before I bought it that it had sunk. I assume it has foam under the deck. What the likelihood that its all really nasty rotten under the deck? It feels solid.

If your boat sank, the foam is saturated/waterlogged.

Just because your deck feels solid right now doesn't mean that the decaying process hasn't started and may be in full swing. The deck is the last thing to go because glass boats rot from the inside out and the bottom up.

Sheet foam and noodles aren't an option for fiberglass boats, the expanding foam is structural in these boats and supports the deck and hull.

The only way to find out for sure if your boat has rot and saturated foam is to open her up and have a look see.