Foam Board

swampboy

Seaman
I had my garage door replaced. I have the foam board insulation left over from the old door. The foam board was made for garage door insulation.I have enough to cover the bottom of my boat. The mfg specs. show that it is water resistant. I set some bricks on top of a piece, and let it sit in water for about a week. There wasn't any water intrusion into the foam core. If I can use it, I could save a few bucks from buying new foam. Any pros or cons??Thanks for your input..

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Foam Board

if it's white i would not use it, that's what they use down here reg styrofoam

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polystyrene#Expanded_polystyrene_foam

Expanded polystyrene foam

Close up of expanded polystyrene packagingExpanded polystyrene foam (EPS) is usually white and made of expanded polystyrene beads. Familiar uses include packing "peanuts" and molded packing material for cushioning fragile items inside boxes. It is commonly packaged as rigid panels (size 4 by 8 or 2 by 8 square feet in the United States), which are also known as "bead-board". Thermal resistivity is usually about 28 m?K/W (or R-4 per inch in American customary units). Some EPS boards have a flame spread of less than 25 and a smoke-developed index of less than 450, which means they can be used without a fire barrier (but require a 15 minute thermal barrier) according to US building codes. A growing use of EPS in construction are Insulating concrete forms.

[edit] Extruded polystyrene foam
Extruded polystyrene foam (XPS) has air inclusions which gives it moderate flexibility, a low density, and a low thermal conductivity.

Extruded polystyrene material is also used in crafts and model building, particularly architectural models. Because of the extrusion manufacturing process, XPS does not require facers to maintain its thermal or physical property performance. Thus, it makes a more uniform substitute for corrugated cardboard. Thermal resistivity is usually about 35 m?K/W (or R-5 per inch in American customary units).

Trade names for XPS include "Styrofoam", "Foamular", "Greenguard" and "Foamcore". ("Styrofoam" is often also used as a generic name for all polystyrene foams.)

joe

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I have seen in this forum people using pink and blue with no problems...

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1969 Starcraft had white styrofoam in it and it held up until this year when I gutted it (previous owner was a total slob). Some gas and some mice got into it but other than that it was still there. These days the modern exterior bellow grade foam sheets are much better like the pink or blue that was mentioned by Alpheus. People worried because the gas will destroy it. In my opinion if you have gas floating around under your deck you should not be on that boat, regardless of what type of flotation used..

swampboy

Seaman

if it's white i would not use it, that's what they use down here reg styrofoam

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polystyrene#Expanded_polystyrene_foam

Expanded polystyrene foam

Close up of expanded polystyrene packagingExpanded polystyrene foam (EPS) is usually white and made of expanded polystyrene beads. Familiar uses include packing "peanuts" and molded packing material for cushioning fragile items inside boxes. It is commonly packaged as rigid panels (size 4 by 8 or 2 by 8 square feet in the United States), which are also known as "bead-board". Thermal resistivity is usually about 28 m?K/W (or R-4 per inch in American customary units). Some EPS boards have a flame spread of less than 25 and a smoke-developed index of less than 450, which means they can be used without a fire barrier (but require a 15 minute thermal barrier) according to US building codes. A growing use of EPS in construction are Insulating concrete forms.

[edit] Extruded polystyrene foam
Extruded polystyrene foam (XPS) has air inclusions which gives it moderate flexibility, a low density, and a low thermal conductivity.

Extruded polystyrene material is also used in crafts and model building, particularly architectural models. Because of the extrusion manufacturing process, XPS does not require facers to maintain its thermal or physical property performance. Thus, it makes a more uniform substitute for corrugated cardboard. Thermal resistivity is usually about 35 m?K/W (or R-5 per inch in American customary units).

Trade names for XPS include "Styrofoam", "Foamular", "Greenguard" and "Foamcore". ("Styrofoam" is often also used as a generic name for all polystyrene foams.)

joe
Thanks for the info.. This is why I'm glad that we have this forum. I will try and find some Green or Pink foam. In the past I've tried the local Home Depot and Lowes, but no can find. I'm in the Fresno, Cal. Area.I will try and find another source...Thanks again....

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i'm having a hard time here in fla. finding the sheets( think it has to do with no basement homes down here???)
ez- reminded me about the pool noodles they are extruded poly see if that will fill your need.

joe