Flywheel shaft threads fubared

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
We took the flywheel off so we could replace the stator (is it stat or or sta tor pronouncation ?? )Was a mean ***** to get off. Turns out the threads are fubared up.
Not sure of my options here.
Add a washer or two to keep the nut just above it, ?
Just tighten it down as is ?
Not sure if theres a way to redo them as I have never really done that before.
sigh one thing after another :-(

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Feeling sorry for myself, forgot to add photos. LIttle blurry from keeping up close to get the pic but think you can make out the fubar.

Attachments

• photo276020.jpg
    photo276020.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
  • photo276021.jpg
    photo276021.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Deep. I watched a video on chasing threads. DIdn't know thats what that was called. . Any clue on what size die I would need.
? I couldn't find the size of the threaded shaft in the manual. I assume those are course threads. Assume that matters too.
Again thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Take the nut to the thread chaser store and get the size that matches the nut. Or check with some local machine shops. This is a 5 minute job after the right size is figured out.

Getting a new nut is a good idea. It may be damaged too.

Bobbywolf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also, keep in mind that this is the end of your crankshaft! Make sure to be careful with this. The proper size die is likely expensive due to the size. You may want to bring it to a machine shop and have them do it. I doubt they would charge you more than 1/2 hour labour.

Rob