Flywheel Problem.

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an old {?} 7 1/2 hp Sea King. I went to install points and condenser. When I reinstalled the Flywheel I tightened the nut down and the flywheel was bound up. Thinking I had put the key into the keyway wrong, I took it off and put the key in the keyway up against the top of the Flywheel, tightened it down again and the same thing. I didn't notice a spacer under the crankshaft where the Flywheel sits. Can someone tell me where I went wrong? Thanx in advance for any help with this, Hal

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Flywheel Problem.

Couple things to look at.<br /><br />1. Check to make sure you don't have any metal filings or other metal ojects sticking to the magnet on the flywheel.<br /><br />2. If you loosened, removed/reinstalled the coils, then they may be out of alignment and hitting or dragging on the flywheel. On my motor, there are guides below the coils. The edge of the laminate should be exactly even with the metal under the coil. You should see that they ground out a little portion of the metal the coil is mounted on to make this guide. OMC had or has a ring that fits on the motor to line these up. My repair manual suggests using a straight edge if the ring is not available. Good luck.

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Scoop, Thanks a lot its evening now so I'll check it out first thing in the morning. I'll let you know how I come out. Thanks again. Happy Boating, Hal

splasher

Cadet

Hi Harrison<br /> hope you used the correct flywheel <br />puller and not a three legged type. try refitting f\wheel without key to see if it still locks up.<br />If it ok you have key or key way problem. :)

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks a lot guys, Yes it's the original flywheel. It's morning now so I' going out to try and install flywheel without key to see if thats the problem.<br /><br />I've never had this happen before so I'm thinking it must be the key. Will let you know. Thanks again and Happy Boating, Hal

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hey Hal, I've watching this post but haven't had anything to offer.<br />Are you saying the flywheel goes farther down on the crankshaft then it did before you took it off??<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah Hooty, That seems to be the problem. I have installed the key in the keyway every way I can think of but when I torque it down to specified in-pounds the flywheel seems to rub on mounting plate. All suggestions are welcome as I have never run into this problem before. Happy Boating and thanks to everyone who has tried to help me with this. Hal

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Hal, something has to be different from when the flywheel came off initially. The taper on the crank and the bore of the flywheel control precisely how far down the flywheel goes. The key has nothing to do with this at all; it just provides rotary indexing for timing. Something (maybe associated with the points or condensor installation) is different!<br /><br />The only other possibility I can imagine is the insert in the center of the flywheel which has the bore (which has the aluminum cast around it) has moved because the flywheel has a radial crack. This would be very obvious, however.<br /><br />I would check everything you touched and also look for any tools you may have dropped or left behind. Other than the rare situation outlined above, the flywheel just can't sit any lower than it ever did before.

one more cast

Captain

I have an idea, spray the inside of the flywheel with machinists dye and tighten the flywheel a little at a time turning the flywheel back and forth about a half inch or so as you tighten it .when it starts to bind remove the flywheel and see where the dye has rubbed off. that should pinpoint the problem.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Yo Hal,<br />Did you ever get this flywheel thing figgered out? If ya did, tell us about it. If ya didn't, lemme know. I was talking to an ole bud about this and I may have an answer for ya.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hooty; Yep still the same thing. The only reason I took the flywheel off was to put in new points and condenser. They go into a compartment with a metal cover over them. Other than polish up the magnets thats it. <br /><br />I have been out of town for a couple of days so sorry for not getting back to you right away. I picked up a new key this afternoon, will let you know how it works out. Thanks guys, Happy Boating, Hal

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I don't think the key is gonna help, Hal. How did you get the flywheel off in the first place?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hooty; Maybe to easy. I took off the nut & washer, slipped two screwdrivers under it across from each other and off it came.<br /><br />I've changed quite a few of these on different brands of motors and have never had anything happen like this. What could change? All I know is that I'm stumped. Thanks Fellas, If the new key doesn't work I'm back to square one. But this don't have me beat as I've been using it as a kicker. It just makes a guy feel like a **** fool, there is too many important problems on this BB. <br /><br />Thanks again, Hal

mrc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It seems unlikely that the flywheel is going lower on the crank than before, so<br />is anything under the crank higher than before? <br /><br />Mike