Flywheel Keyway, Is This right?

Bitmess

Seaman
I'm replacing a sheared flywheel key on a 1995 Johnson 130HP.
It uses the half moon type key. It doesn't seem to fix right.
The key-way seems shallow. Is this right? Please see attached photos.
IMAG0058.jpgIMAG0059.jpg

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Flywheel Keyway, Is This right?

Start with the right key from a BRP Evinrude dealer. The taper and flywheel bore must be clean, dry and oil free. Most keys are installed parallel to the crankshaft centerline. The flywheel nut must be torqued to the correct value (which is why keys shear if not done). Do NOT use a hardware store key!

BTW, you only get a few tries to get it right before the flywheel and/or the crankshaft get destroyed.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Amen to what wilde said. That is a special key that you have to get from a dealer. There is no excuse for shearing them. If the flywheel is installed correctly, it won't shear.....until it is so damaged from past shearings. Then you have a candidate for the scrap pile.

JDusza

Ensign

Technical term is a woodruff key and it must fit the machined groove from top to bottom.
Wilde1j has it right. Use a key from BRP to be certain. If they're not hardened correctly, you're in for a real treat. NOT!!!
A key too small will not hold and key too big will not let the parts mate correctly.
It has to be juuust right...
J

Bitmess

Seaman

Okay, we got it all done. It took a couple of hours. It was just a lot more difficult than I would imagine. Basically the key must be formed to fit the key way by torquing the nut and tapping the flywheel with a plastic dead blow hammer. Holding the flywheel while torquing the nut is a pain. I did use a BRP key. The old key that I removed could not have been the right one because it was longer than the key way. This caused a lot of problems because the flywheel wasn't spinning true. Misfires and overheating.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Kenneth

wmmills

Recruit

Okay, we got it all done. It took a couple of hours. It was just a lot more difficult than I would imagine. Basically the key must be formed to fit the key way by torquing the nut and tapping the flywheel with a plastic dead blow hammer. Holding the flywheel while torquing the nut is a pain. I did use a BRP key. The old key that I removed could not have been the right one because it was longer than the key way. This caused a lot of problems because the flywheel wasn't spinning true. Misfires and overheating.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Kenneth

Im not quit shoure what im doing but im replying to a post about flywheel keyways.
I have a 6HP evinrude and it runs fore about two minits and sheers a keyway. any recomindations of why it keeps cheering the keyways.
thanks fore any sugustions or help.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You should start your own thread. If you're using the using the correct key, you're not installing it properly. If you don't torque the flywheel nut to the correct value, the key WILL shear. See above.