Flywheel Issue -> Don't Laugh!

PsYcHo

Cadet
Here is what happened:<br /><br />Put my carbs back after re-building them and noticed that the cables from the stator looked terrible. The insulation was totally brittle and the slightest touch/movement would cause insulation to break off. I could see that this had been a problem for a long time as parts of the cable had insulation tape around it. OK...so I decide to fix it....as I know that a stator cost quite bit! So I have to get the flywheel of right!<br /><br />Now dont laugh....but because I did not have a spanner/wrench big enough to get the center bolt off.....I decide I'll take the 6 or 8 bolt off on the hub. OK so I do this (they are not even very tight). Got the flywheel off fine, repaired the cables on the stator....put the stator and flywheel back.<br /><br />Cranked her up and she started with no problems! I did however for a second hear a grating/scratching sound (like the flywheel briefly cought on the stator). I took her down to the water....no problems...had a good hour of ski-ing :) <br /><br />Now I know I should have looked up "flywheel removal" on the board before tackling it...but call me a twit I did'nt!<br /><br />So: how serious is it that I removed the 6 bolts on the hub instead of the center bolt? Balancing? Bearing in mind that I never marked off the original position of the flywheel on the hub, BUT also that she runs fine!<br /><br />Please advise :confused: <br /><br />Mercury, 115, 6 inline from about an '80 nmodel.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Flywheel Issue -> Don't Laugh!

Psycho,<br />If it ain't broke, don't fix it.<br />If you ran for four hours and nothing scattered, it probably's not going to.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

PsYcHo

Cadet

Thanks Hooty,<br /><br />For a moment I was feeling very stupid and nervous....but I guess you're right!<br /><br />PsYcHo

sirlespat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was thinking that the above advice is good advice. i would do some checks though. Its sounds like a bit of grit was stuck between the stator and flywheel that fell out when it started. I would probably check that the flywheel is correctly centred on the shaft by putting a pointer near its rim and turning the motor by hand. Possibly because it was so easy to take it off that way last time I do it again and have a look. When putting it back on you may be able to check clearance on the stator with a thin piece of plastic as a feeler guage.