Fly wheel troubles

TKniner

Cadet
Hey everyone, new member here. I have a 58 johnson 18 hp FDL-12. It's been sitting at my dad's place for a long time but it's mine now.
I put an electrical tune kit on it and as I was verifying the spark I noticed it was binding somewhere. I checked the coils and they are flush and not binding. What looks to be binding is the fly wheel with the ignition plate where a lip on fly wheel fits in a groove on the plate. Does this mean something is bent? Or could I just remove enough material so that it doesn't bind?
I was able to get spark on a 5/16 gap even with the binding... Any help would be great. I can add pictures if that would help.
Also, thanks to all of the great people in this forum. I have used it a ton already.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fly wheel troubles

How much side play do you have in the mag plate??

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Something is wrong. The mag plate is loose or bent, or the flywheel is bent. Or the key is not properly installed in the shaft. Or the crankshaft main bearings are worn out. You will have to do some inspection.

Bent flywheel would be my guess. It happens from somebody using a puller that grabs the outside of the flywheel instead of the three holes in the center. Or extreme prying, trying to get it off cave-man style.

TKniner

Cadet

Thanks. Is there a way to check if the flywheel is bent?
Worst case, what do you guys think it would take to fix? And, how bad would it be on the motor if I ground on the flywheel so doesn't bind and ran it? It did run pretty good when we put it in the barn I think.

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I would not grind on a flywheel.----Need to compare the replacement mag plate with the original.----Find out what is different / wrong here.

TKniner

Cadet

I never replaced the mag plate. I did remove it so I could replace the plug wires though. Is there a special way to reinstall the mag plate? I just tightened it down.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Did you remove the rings under the mag plate for any reason? In any case, check to make sure the aluminum ring inside the brass ring is FLAT SIDE UP.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Are the coils in the correct position ?---How did you adjust them ?----How was the flywheel pulled off ?

TKniner

Cadet

Coils are flush with that machined tab like it says on this forum. I adjusted them by installing all three screws and then tightening them when the coil was flush with the tab. I used a puller that used the 3 existing screw holes in the flywheel not a grab type.

I'm not for sure on the brass ring. I'll make sure to double check that.

I would like to add that it only binds in spots... not the entire revolution.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Coils are flush with that machined tab like it says on this forum. I adjusted them by installing all three screws and then tightening them when the coil was flush with the tab.

I have no idea what that means. If by binding, you mean that as you turn the flywheel, at some point the flywheel grabs and tries to turn the magneto... the coils are not aligned properly.

The aluminum upon which the coils sit has a slight bevel at the top of it. The metal yoke portion of the coils must align with the top inside portion of that bevel... otherwise the yoke of the coils can easily contact the magnets of the flywheel. If you have not aligned the coils in this manner, do so.

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you do not see any fresh metal
or
scraped paint anywhere

does the binding up happen every once around
or
multiple times around?

TKniner

Cadet

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23250&d=1224442408

I have the coils aligned like the link above. It is rubbing on the lip of the flywheel where it fits into the groove of the mag plate. That is the best way I can explain it... sorry. I'll get some pictures on here tonight of the rubbing as well as the coils. I checked the side to side movement of the mag plate, and just a guess I would say maybe a 1/16. I wasn't really able to work on it last night but tonight I should be able to do some more trouble shooting. Thanks for all the help so far.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Side to side movement is WAY,WAY too much.---Time to investigate that.

TKniner

Cadet

IMG_1410.jpg

Here are some pictures. The pic where I'm pointing with a screwdriver is a spot on the mag plate that shows some galling. It looks like the only spot on the plate that shows any sign of wear. I also added a pic of the flywheel that shows rub marks. And, finally there is a pic of how I aligned the coils. I did check the washer that the mag plate is screwed to and it was installed correct. I'm really confused by this whole thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

1/16" side play in the armature plate borders on obscene. It should be measured in a few thousandths. The reason should be obvious upon tear-down. I'm guessing the brass bushing in the plate is broken loose or the retaining ring is installed upside down. Should be flat side up.

TKniner

Cadet

Ok, took it apart again and the brass bushing in the plate is really loose. I'm pretty sure it's the brass bushing you are referring to. I'll say it again, I am new to this and greatly appreciate all of the feed back. Please have patients with me.

So, my next question is... where do i go from here?

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Options are find a new mag plate or if you poke around here on iboats forums, you might find Joe's fix involving a punch and hammer. But, but the sounds of it, your plate might be too sloppy for even that fix.

TKniner

Cadet

That's kind of what I thought. I saw that fix and wasn't sure if it would work because of how loose it is.
So, kind of afraid of ebay parts. Would it be a good idea to post a new thread seeing if anyone has one for sale on this forum?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Loose bronze / brass insert is very common.----A new plate is available , but at " sticker shock " price !!----Lots of those magplates available used.------Post your location.---------Or post on the -----aomci -------Website in the wantd section.-Helpful members there would sell one for say $10.00 or less.

Last edited: