flushing F9.9 Yamaha on stand

billy-bobby

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a fitting which will permit me to attach my hose to the leg of my motor for flushing. If I run the motor with this set up , will it be as efficient for cooling the motor as if I ran in in a tank?<br />In other words, can I safely run my outboard with this method, and eliminate the hassle of filling a garbage can full of water?

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
Re: flushing F9.9 Yamaha on stand

Sure. Why not? Everybody does it.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Yep, that's what those 'ears' are for. As long as your telltale is discharging water, the motor should be happy. It's a little quieter to run 'em in a barrel, but flushing ears work fine.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

When you say fitting, do you mean a quick connect device that is somehow perminently screwed in the screwhole labled "FLUSH"?<br /><br />I as because on some motors that can be above the waterpump and cause a problem if done while running.<br /><br />Whereas the earmuff type connection should provide a good suppy to the water pump when properly placed over the intake screen.

billy-bobby

Seaman Apprentice

sorry, I should have been clear on this. The fitting screws into the leg after I remove a cover screw on the leg. It attaches to the leg at about the same level as the upper "oil" screw. The garden hose attaches to the outside end of the fitting. Is that okay to use rather than running in a barrel?

dinsdale

Seaman

Also remember you cannot throttle up when outside the tank as the prop has no resistance and can "Run way" .