Flush that ole' motor WITHOUT a bucket!

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As some may know, a few days ago I was wanting to flush this motor without a bucket and without using flush muffs because they are unreliable when it comes to creating a good seal. To do this, I made an adapter to fit my motor with little modification and time. This takes about an hour to do and will cost no more than $12 or so. I attained the supplies from Lowe's with the exception of the aluminum plate. I had some scrap aluminum plate laying around from another project. So here we go!

Supplies

3/4" x 3/8" hose connector (the most expensive part @ $7.43!:rolleyes:)

5/16" x 1/4" brass male adapter ($1.68)

(2) 1/2" x 10-24 sloted pan head machine screws (pack of 5, $0.93)

1 ft 5/16" ID poly hose ($0.20 per foot)

1 piece of aluminum plate (enough to make a new water pump cover)

How to:

Trace the old water pump plate out on your aluminum plate and cut out the pattern. Drill your holes and make sure it aligns with the recessed area on the motor. Pay close attention to where the water passage enters the pump. This is where you want to install the 5/16" x 1/4" brass male adapter for optimum flow. Drill a 1/2" hole into your new water pump plate. Thread your male adapter fitting into so that it is now threaded, or you can use a tap. I did not happen to have a tap so I just threaded with the adapter to create the threads. Install your poly hose onto the male adapter barb and onto the female hose adapter barb. Using a small amount of carb cleaner will soften it up so that it will slide on easily to the barb. Connect to your garden hose and you're now done. The only thing I may modify to this setup is to create a small flap that can swivel over the opening of the water pump plate when I'm not using it for flushing. I think this may help keep debris such as duck weed from being drawn into the impeller. The beauty about this design is that it is easy to just thread it on to the plate and turn the hose on. I also noticed the water doesn't blow by, so you can turn the pressure from the faucet down and run the motor longer without flooding the yard!
HAPPY FLUSHING!

HPIM2137.jpg

HPIM2138.jpg

HPIM2139.jpg

HPIM2134.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/g/hpim2137.jpg/

Can't get the pictures to work for some reason...

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Flush that ole' motor WITHOUT a bucket!

Pictures working fine

Good idea for motors with that type of plate on the water intake. Sadly does not apply to all.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Pictures working fine

Good idea for motors with that type of plate on the water intake. Sadly does not apply to all.

Indeed- Really applies to a low percentage "of us" but still a good idea :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

They used to be sold as an aftermarket product,the only difference being that there was a male adaptor on the plate and you could screw the garden hose straight onto the copper plate.
They were available for the 7.5,the 18 and the 35 all with different size plates.
I still have them and use them regularly.

poida

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the pics
I have always had troubles putting the muffs on my 18hp fastwin, that will make my life much easier.:)

FAC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

cool i will definitely make one of these so i can ditch the bucket

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep me to.. so much simpler and cleaner. but louder lol

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Indeed- Really applies to a low percentage "of us" but still a good idea :cool:

It applies to over 50 engines that I have! But as I'm only on fresh water I don't need to do it!

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Flushing your motor is just one reason I did this. Whenever I want to troubleshoot the motor, check it before I head out after its been sitting for a while, or just want to run the gas out, the engine needs a water supply. I just wanted something faster and less of a mess than a bucket. Besides, buckets tend to circulate warm and oily water through the motor and this way I can engage the prop with no problems if needed during maintenance, etc.