Floor repair

sstone

Seaman
Floor in the 1990 phantom is rock solid, except for about a 1' square section under the passenger chair. How would I go about fixing this spot, it's not completely rotted, just a little soft. Can I cut out this square, replace it with a new one and carpet over it?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Floor repair

Well yes you can do that, but when you cut it open you more than likely will find you need to do a lot more work. boats rot from the back foward.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I will move this to the restoration section so you can diagnose your soft DECK (not a floor!!) ;)

sstone

Seaman

Deck, my bad. :facepalm: Grew up on boats but this is my first technical project with one. I understand that detectable rot often comes with more, but the entire deck, sans this spot, is rock solid, doesn't budge an inch. In the engine compartment where I can see under the carpet to the wood, there's no rot whatsoever. So I'm hoping that this fix will work for as long as I'll have the boat, not eternity. Anything under that area that I should be concerned with? I know that it's not over the fuel tank, any other obstructions?

sstone

Seaman

Reading around (like I should have done earlier), I realize how absolutely clueless I sound. Thanks for dealing with my stupidity :facepalm: . Haven't checked the underside thoroughly, but the best I can tell is that this deck is wooden. There may be 'glass underneath but definitely only wood on top. I'm not sure if the fiberglass floor was assumed, I admit not knowing much about this. I'm a mechanical guy, not structural.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Reading around (like I should have done earlier), I realize how absolutely clueless I sound. Thanks for dealing with my stupidity :facepalm: . Haven't checked the underside thoroughly, but the best I can tell is that this deck is wooden. There may be 'glass underneath but definitely only wood on top. I'm not sure if the fiberglass floor was assumed, I admit not knowing much about this. I'm a mechanical guy, not structural.

Not being aware of what to look for does not qualify as stupidity so do not beat yourself up! AND slowly you will become a mechanical guy with structural skills ;)

Once you cut open the deck to inspect it will reveal allot of things:

-What the deck is made of (normally wood that has been coated with fiberglass)
-If there is water logged foam under the deck
-Is there any other rot available to see
-possible evidence of previous "band aid" type repairs
-AND what may have caused the rot in that single spot

Now getting below the deck or through the deck needs to be done with care. Do not get aggressive with a saw to cut the deck. Cut only about 1/2" - 3/4" deep at any one time. (many people have cut right through their hulls so be warned)

Take lots of pictures and we will help from there.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Floor in the 1990 phantom is rock solid, except for about a 1' square section under the passenger chair. How would I go about fixing this spot, it's not completely rotted, just a little soft. Can I cut out this square, replace it with a new one and carpet over it?

As long as you have good Decking to scab in a new piece then yes you can do this.

Try to determine the thickness of your deck first so you can adjust your skill saw to the right depth when cutting out your square.

You can try to cut a small hole in the middle of the soft spot so you can reach in with your arm and feel around for stringers or supports etc.

Mark on the deck side where you want to cut out. ( keep at least 2" from the Side of the boat cut .. you might need that part of the deck to help in your replacement later on )

Set your saw depth and cut out your square. It does not matter if your cutout goes over a stringer or support..as long as you keep away from the hullsides.

See what you have then and get back to us :) .

YD.