Flexing hull

cantaris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have finally been able to get back to ripping out the deck and transom on my 24 ft Reinell. When I got the deck and the foam out, the hull seemed to flex alotwhen I push on with my hand. Since I am not planning on putting foam back in, is this going to be a problem? I was sitting on it while removing the transom and did not hear any cracking:D. Or should I build a sub floor(as I am raising the deck) an fill with foam so as to maintain hull rigidity?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Flexing hull

There are opposing opinions about foam. Some people feel that the flexing you're talking about is a design defect and can be corrected with supports and braces, or that the hull is poorly made and should be disposed of as junk. I happen to feel that the 2 part poured foam adds structure and rigidity to hulls that were designed to take advantage of the foam that was a regulatory requirement for the manufacturer.

In the case of the boat that I'm restoring (18', 1977' Fiberform runabout), I decided to redo the poared foam.

So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it :D

drewpster

Commander
Re: Flexing hull

I was lucky in a way. No foam was used to build my tri-hull. I am going back with the design as it was originally built. i am adding some improvements as I go. I generally recommend rebuilding boats using the original structural design. If my boat had foam it would get new foam put back. (with some really good drainage)