Flex Seal? Plug a hole in a Jon boat with the screen door?

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A friend actually directed me to this website of a product called Flex Seal. This is a liquid rubber spray that can fix any leaks. In the commercial he cuts a hole in a jon boat, puts in a screen door, then sprays the screen door with flex seal and floats on out to the lake.

https://www.getflexseal.com/?tag=he|af&a_aid=4be47e4c6d099&a_bid=01ccd057&data1=428

Wanted to get your thoughts about such a product.

I am still thinking that if the guy put an engine on the back it would flex right off.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Flex Seal? Plug a hole in a Jon boat with the screen door?

It looks good for rain gutters and flower pots, don't think I'd trust it for much else though.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It reminds me of a product called Plasi Dip.... Its a rubberized coating that is in a spray can. I helped a friend coat his rims on the car with it... It holds up great for that purpose and peels right off. I have heard some people use it to coat their old oars/paddles with it. It may be useful to seal the inside of a jon boat with a trolling motor but that's as far as id take it

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks to me like 3M rubberized spray-on bedliner rebranded with a 400% price gouging.

I believe that the pressure and stress placed on a boat hull FAR exceeds any of the demonstrated uses for this product.

An aluminum patch, rivets, 3M 5200 or JB weld works much better in my opinion.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Gluvit is still our best friend ;)