FLASHING A 60 HP SCOTT GENERATOR

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman
I HAVE AN OLD 60 HP SCOTT THAT HAS A HUGE GENERATOR RATHER THAN AN ALTERNATOR AND I AM ANTICIPATING THE NEED TO FLASH THE GENERATOR SINCE IT HAS BEEN LAYING DORMANT FOR YEARS. I HAVE A GENERAL IDEA OF HOW IT'S DONE BUT WOULD FEEL BETTER IF SOMEONE KNEW FOR SURE THE PROPER PROCEDURE AND LET ME KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT DOING IT. ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PROCEDURE?

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can give you some "general" you might be able to take it from there. First, I would try it as is and see if it "picks up"

Flashing any generator depends on how the regulator/ field is wired. They used to be called "A circuit" and "B circuit" and I no longer remember what is what, but it works like this

One of the two circuits, one end of the field is grounded (internally), and the regulator gets power via the armature (output) and then meters that power back to the other end of the field (field terminal). In other words, the field must get power to charge.

The second type circuit, one end of the field is internally connected to the armature and the other end goes to the regulator, and through it to ground. So the regulator in this case controls "the amount of ground" so to say, to control output.

"In general" a given generator can be flashed either positive or negative ground. A regulator MAY work with either polarity, but the contacts of the regulator relays must be proper material/ alloy to put up with the arcing. Many OEM regulators are designed for only one certain polarity, and many aftermarket replacements have heavier contacts which can be used either way.

Some regulators only have two relays, a "cutout" and regulator
Most have three, adding a max current relay to protect the generator.
If you are unaware, the cutout disconnects the armature (output) from the battery when running slow or stopped, otherwise the battery will discharge back through the armature, and if possible, "motor" the generator.

If you look up such things as old Ford, Autolite, Chrysler, Stude, or (cough gag) GM, you will discover the flashing procedures.

To determine if your field is inter-tied to the armature is a bit cumbersome, because it will show continuity due to the ground commone tie. But with an accurate ohmeter on low ohms, you can often tell what is lower "ohms." If the field is connected to the armature, read from field to armature, and from field to ground, making sure to get a very good connection. If the field to ground is lower than armature to field, you have a "ground" connected field. If the field-to armature reading is lower than field to ground, then it is internally connected arm-field.

You might search, there is also a way to determine that by lifting one or both brushes, but I've forgotten. I'm 73. Grew up with generators, until about graduation in 66 when alternators became popular

Last edited:

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also, LOL, if you have a good old fashioned motor/ generator rewind shop in your area, they might be able to look it up specific to the application. Maybe shoot them a little "coffee money"

The other option, if you are just going to casually run around with this, and don't need nav lights, is just use a good battery and remove the generator. We used to water ski for most the summer with a Johnson 40hp twin on one battery, recharge it at home once or twice if it was a "long " one

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman
Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately, removing the generator is not an option as the points are part of and driven by the generator. The real problem I was hoping to solve is referred to by roadrunner when he refers to an a or b circut. I am unclear as to how to determine that and don't want to fry this generator or accidentally reverse polarizing it. Flashing itself is ridiculously simple, but picking the correct wires to do so is not.

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman
For the benefit of others looking for this information I determined that the generator used in the 60 hp Scott is a type A generator. This can be verified by consulting the Delco Remy Service Test Specifications Bulletin #1G-186. Further information on the generator is available in the Delco Remy 1G-150. All the required information needed can be found in these two publications including flashing, maintenance, servicing and tests. Both publications are available on line.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
It's been forever since I have done it. But I do have the service manual for those motors. Is the Voltage regulator in good shape? What you are doing is polarizing it. Make sure your points are set before you do it. This video is the one I have bookmarked to do it.

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman
They do things on the farm that are not always by the book. White was probably the closest or only wire available at the time. In answer to Flying Scotts post, my regulator is new and points set correctly so that shouldn't be an issue.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Then you should be good to go. I won't be home for another week. So you can find a video or I will upload parts of the manual later. It is not that hard to do.