Flasher unit

sparticus

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When I bought my boat I discovered under one of the seats an old Lowrance 2260 flasher fish finder. Does any one still use this style of fish finder? After searching around the net I found a user manual that most definetly demystifyied the round flashing display. I think I will give it a whirl the next time I have the boat out. Just curious if anyone out there still uses theirs. Thanks!

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Flasher unit

I would not even mount the transducer on the boat.

sparticus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well......thats a done deal. It also came with the boat. So boatist are you saying you have used one before then?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It depends on how old the unit is. Flasher units are alive and well and are used almost exclusively for ice fishing. They can track a jig on the way down and show a fishing coming up to it. Flashers provide a "real-time" display whereas an LCD must first detect the fish, process what it saw, and then display it so by the time you see it on the screen (at speed) you are already past it. So don't dismiss the flasher -- they have their place. If it's a working unit, by all means use it.

sparticus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input Silvertip! I plan on testing it in the backyard pool. Its a known depth (4.5') so it will tell me if its at least able to show the bottom. A big plus with the condition of the local reservoir that I frequent. It has nailed its fair share of peoples props this year right in the marina! They are drawing down the water so they can fix a leak in a dike. Depth knowledge would be a good thing!

krazykev

Cadet

I use both a flasher and an LCD. I use my Lowrance 102c (wider cone angle) to get me close to my fishing spot and to watch the lake bottom on the way and then I use my Vexilar FL8 (narrower cone angle) to target the fish right on the spot. I keep both running all the time. Just my 2 cents.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the input Silvertip! I plan on testing it in the backyard pool. Its a known depth (4.5') so it will tell me if its at least able to show the bottom.
This may not work. I tried doing what you are doing with an eagle LCD and I was not able to get a depth reading on my inground pool. I am not sure why maybe cause the vinyl does not reflect the ping as well as a lake. It might work better with a flasher though so I would be curious to see if it works for you. I bought a Marcum LX5 flasher for Xmas last year and they have advantages over a LCD however the LCD also has advantages over the flasher. I moved and have not had a chance to test the flasher with the pool.

sparticus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just got back in from the pool and for the most part it seems to work well. The actual pool depth is 4 ft and it shows that. I am getting some phantom lines at about the 7' and 9' marks that I think are reflections from the side of the pool. Its a permanent vinyl above ground pool. As I lowered the transducer into the pool the depth registered well. Next step is a more permament installation on the boat. The transom mount is still there and wont take but a few mins to reinstall it.