Flame Arrester

PSL

Cadet
I have just bought a used boat and have a silly question. On the side of the flame arrester is a hose coming from the top of the valve cover that blows into the arrester. It looks as though the valve end of the tube has a PCV valve type fitting, however, the valve is just a straight pass through. Is this supposed to be like this? The reason for the question is the excess of smoke that is coming from it. Any words of wisdom?

here is a link to a video of the motor running and the excessive smoke

http://members.shaw.ca/psl

Attachments

• Img_2378.jpg
    Img_2378.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Img_2372.jpg
    Img_2372.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Flame Arrester

aye... it is supposed to be like that... it's gonna smoke some. if its smokin real bad change your oil.

PSL

Cadet

Thanks for the tip , so just to confirm it should just be a passthrough , no valve in there right. BTW , did the video work for you?

John_S

Rear Admiral

The video worked fine for me.

The smoke was coming from the other side of the engine. Was everything (hoses, etc) hooked up for the video? It did not appear as if it was being drawn into carb/flame arrestor. Have you done a compression test? If not, its probably worth doing to get a finger on engine condition. If hoses were hooked up, probably want to see what your manifold vacuum is as well.

PSL

Cadet

Don't have a proper gauge , but the vacuum gauge in the dash reads between 15-20 depnding on what the idle is set to (+ or - 650-700rpm). Seloc book say 15 to 22 as best as i can gather. All the hoses were hooked up and seals (on the hoses) are tight. There are several bills i got with the boat at purchase indicating that the valves, head and cylinder sleaves were done less than a year and a bit ago. As well, the carb was redone. The list basically stated compression fine on 3 of 4 cylinders , hence the head and sleeves beeing done. As for the smoke , it was coming from the valve cover hose , just a bad angle on the video. What would be the cause of the smoke not being sucked into the carb? Also , should the idle drop as the air is sucked into the carb? I would asume so , seeing as the air fuel mix would change.

79Glastron

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe its just the vid, but that thing sounds like a diesel!