Fixing small chips in the boat?

chad711

Seaman
I have a 95 Nitro bass boat and there is a few places with chips in the boat that I would like to fix. Is this something I need to have done or can it be done with some sort of kit?

How much does something like this normally cost?

cr2k

Captain
Re: Fixing small chips in the boat?

Maybe a finishing resin wet sanded down and polished. The clear nature would make it less visible and would allow the color finish to show through.

chad711

Seaman

Maybe I should of said chunks not chips? These are at the bottom of the boat and it's through the first layer of the boat and you can see the fiberglass.

cr2k

Captain

Oh, that's different. If they are down the centerline you can get a Keel Guard to cover them up and protect the Keel.

Other wise you will want to keep the boat out of the water for a week or so to make sure the glass is dry and mix some High Density filler in some West Systems epoxy. The filler will help 2 ways, one it will help fill the holes with some hard stuff and two it will make the epoxy thick so it will go on like putty and not sag.

chad711

Seaman

Perfect that is what I was looking for. I guess I will then just wet sand it after putting it on? They are not bad but I'm pretty fickle with stuff like this and would rather have it fixed then look at it every time I am putting the transom saver on.