fitting a seperate electric temperature gauge

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good evening all>
I would like to fit a electic temperature gauge to a Evenrude 225 Hp. VRO motor ( something like a VDO instruments unit)I would be needing a sender unit as well as the temperatur gauge, how would I go about fitting the sender unit to the cylinder head,any suggestions.
Kind Regards William Wright,

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: fitting a seperate electric temperature gauge

Yes -- you can add an electric temp gauge. But you need one for an outboard and you need a sender that matches the gauge. Teleflex and Faria are two that are available. Most current outboard temp gauges are calibrated Cold-Normal-Hot because numbers tend to confuse people (although it shouldn't). Also most people don't know what "normal" is for their engines anyway. That said, there are some gauges that measure 100-240F but outboards tend to run cool at wide open throttle so a gauge that reads 60 - 220F is a far better choice but also harder to find. I found my last one on the internet. Below is a picture of the sender that simply screws into an unused port on the water jacket cover. The sender that may be included with the gauge may be a type that makes contact with the head and is held in place with a head bolt. One wire runs from the sender to the gauge. +12V, ground, and a backlight connection are the other connections. +12V must be active with the key on.

8b915656.jpg