FishToon Project

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ever start one of those restoration projects that you couldn't decide where to stop. I've got one of those going.

Started out purchasing an '89 24' Starcraft pontoon/'02 50 hp 4stroke Honda. Deck was in decent shape,but the funiture was fugly and the 23" dia. tubes were covered from yrs. setting in a boat slip. One tube had the nose crunched,and both had water in the front compartments. Yea, I paid too much for it,but that's how I roll.:rolleyes:

First I fixed the tubes,sanded and polished them,installed new furniture,trolling motor,graphs,and downriggers. Ready to fire it up, not quite. I was having trouble with the speeds that 50hp Honda was going to produce. So, I started researching what makes these toons tic. Soon started looking for a 120hp motor (the capacity rating of this 2 tube hull),also adding a center tube,and strakes. Stumbled across a good deal on a low hrs. 2.5 Merc XR6 150. Yea I bought it. I know that's too big,but we'll deal with that later.

A center tube is being built as we speak. 25" dia. 25'-6" long with a 300 hp transom,built in fuel tank,and 5" strakes. I'm also adding 5" strakes to the inside of the outer tubes,and extra crossmembers to beef up the frame. Now I'm not liking the layout. I'm considering tearing it clear down to the tubes. Make the frame a lil longer,widen to 102",use 1/8" aluminum for the new deck,with a new shorter rail for easier fishing. Looking to make it a center console with a big T-top.

Now for the capacity rating. Since the only thing still "factory" on this pontoon will be the outer tubes and a few crossmembers,is it still a Starcraft? I'm hoping the Fish and Game will issue me a new capacity plate for a homemade boat. It's my understanding they do this. Anyone gone through this?

drewpster

Commander
Re: FishToon Project

Glad to see a Tuner doing a Tooner! Its about time.:D
good luck with it! ill be tooning in.

(what else goes with toon?)

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

since its a starcraft .... come down and see in the starcraft section. i dont think we have to many... if any toon guys down there yet. to find the starcraft section, start out in the forums and scroll down to the bottom where it says owners groups by manutacturer and the page turns blue, look for S ...then starcraft then come on in. CBG

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad to see a Tuner doing a Tooner! Its about time.:D
good luck with it! ill be tooning in.

The tuning will be the fun part. A jackplate,a 1/2 dozen stainless props,a slight chop on a cool morning,and a good explanation to your bud for not fishing that day.:D

Too bad it won't be till spring....

BrianMc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, I was doing a search on google and found this old thread I started. This project is still going on,but I'm getting close. Still have a lil more welding on the rail,then it'll be time for underskin. Here's a link to a slideshow of this project from the time I started this thread.

Project Fishtoon Build album

photobucket-23311-1340850404259b.jpg