fishing the twin cities

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyone want to share any good fishing holes in the Mpls/St. Paul area? I'm exploring around the northwest 'burbs these days. The fishing has been REALLY bad for me, though, so take this with a grain of salt. I'm obviously not the best :) Here's a little of what I've found:<br /><br />Twin Lakes in Crystal/Robbinsdale:<br />I have had some luck catching Northern on the middle lake with a spinner. However, I've decided to abandon this lake due to the high traffic of PWC on it. I don't have anything against them in general, and am not trying to start a debate about them, but enough of the people I've found here happen to be the irresponsible sort.<br /><br />Eagle lake in Maple Grove:<br />Very nice lake! I only went there once. The landing can be a touch crowded, but in general the lake didn't seem too busy. Many good weed beds to fish along. We were fishing for pike or bass, and didn't have a ton of luck (a few bites, pulled one in), but it was only a couple of hours on one evening. Reports are that this is a pretty good pike lake. We did have a big musky surface by our stern while we were anchored! Freaked my wife out :) I think he was mocking us...<br /><br />Lake Independence, out towards Orono:<br />Very nice, very big lake. I've caught northern (off a shallow running perch colored rapala) and pan fish from the fishing pier at the park, and once saw a big ol' tiger musky come lurking under there hunting. The pike was caught. Too bad it wasn't musky season yet :) There's supposed to be good fishing if you toss lures at the sailboats by the bible camp. There's some reeds showing on a submerged island in the middle of the lake that have some nice crappies in the weeds around it.<br /><br />Lake Johanna in Arden Hills:<br />There's some nice bass and pike hiding in the trenches (use a depth finder) to the east of the boat launch. Toss a jig with a curly tail down in to 'em. the bay by the retirement home is a bluegill spawning ground, so they're easy to catch around there, esp in spring. And their predators must hang out around there, too, I would think....<br /><br />Well, that's a nice collection so far. Wish I could be more informative, but I haven't found 'the' place that I want to keep returning to, yet, so I don't know anywhere really well.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fishing the twin cities

Howdy, Yensid. It's been a lot of years since I lived in Mound, but the fishing in selected parts (low traffic) of Minnetonka was great. I have a pal who still fishes it (at night, mostly) who kills the Muskies and Bass. Before That I lived in St. Boni and fished Waconia regularly for bass and walleye (but caught a lot of snakes by accident). Both places are worth a try, if you can handle the traffic. When I go north now, I go all the way to LOTW. The catching may not be much better (it is great), but the fishing sure is better.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I haven't even considered Minnetonka yet. It's pretty big compared to what I'm used to :) I want to hit it with some experienced people, first, so I can get some advice on good spots there (low traffic, high catch rate).<br /><br />I've been thinking about Waconia. Don't mind catching the northies by accident, and that's all my wife really wants to catch. :cool:

rogerwa

Commander

Any recommendations on the southern metro (I'm in Burnsville), especially ones that have good action for the young ones??<br /><br />Prior is probably the obvious answer, but getting on and off that lake can be a pain..

yensid - go to upnorthoutdoors.com and look through the options, of which there are many for MN. I've fished with a number of MN persons that I met through "The Shanty" some real nice MN persons post here as well. Also persons from WI, MI, IN, IL, and CNY, CO, PA, Alaska, Canada and other places. Most of us are devote Ice-Men but fish open water as well. In May I flew to CNY to fish for huge perch on Seneca Lake - it was a great trip and the yellow perch are truly huge. Give the site a look see - can't hurt.<br /><br />Bill

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, Bill, I'll check it out!<br /><br />rogerwa, I'll see what info I can find for you...