fishing in gulf of mexico/louisiana marsh

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
guys, i fish in the La marsh and am considering getting a mapping gps (like a garmin 76 or 76s) to help in the case of fog/getting caught after dark. I am interested in any first hand knowledge of the blue chart system as far as detail for fishing these areas. I looked at the web sites, but I am not sure that the charting database has enough detail to show all the pipelines/turns that are involvedin a marsh area. Any ideas on blue chart?????

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: fishing in gulf of mexico/louisiana marsh

sorry i can't give details - but gps has been brought up quite a few times as far as likes/ dislikes/ abilities. maybe you can get info in a search, and then hope for good hits here. also maybe in the boating forums.

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks ebb- I agree and have searched several gps postings. I understand the range of accruacy (95% chance for 3m) of the waas enbabled units and I have tinkered with the mapping programs. What I was trying to ask for is anyone that has experience using the garmin 76 in south louisiana marsh or similar areas... I really want for nighttime(if i get caught there) or during a fog. Sorry if I wasnt clear...Didnt know if anyone felt it would be useful to get back in to launch. any help is appreciated.

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Beaux give me some cordinates and I'll send you a blue chart of the point so you can see for yourself. They are really detailed. I have a Lowrance for my boat with Waas and I know exactly where the bouys are out on the lake so I don't run into them. Make getting home at night so nice!<br /><br />Give me a e-mail address to where I can send it. :D

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

i will post some coordinates asap ...thanks.<br />with the holidays I may not get to them soon..thanks trollhole :D Jbeaux2000@aol.com

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks....those are great...Did you get that from the national map then you zooomed down to the area? I think I read you can order a specific area and download that area for the most recent data available with the highest detail. I am not sure if that question is clear or not, but I am wondering if you simply zoomed down on your bluechart program? Is it possible to get even finer detail/recent info by getting the bluechart program and then downloading the specific area needed? does that sounds right? Thanks again

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

and ....No,. I dont really need more detail than that ...those are great and I appreciate it. Just asking for info. Thanks trollhole!!! :D

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah you just zoom from the us map. You have mail. :D

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am sold........... that is a good mapping program. THanks