fishing decline

tommays

Admiral
Re: fishing decline

On long Island the party boats out of the Great South Bay could be putting a 1000 hooks in the water on a busy day ?

How many fish can you take out of a small bay and have it survive

We know the bay can not keep up with the clamers

Tommays

woodrat

Ensign

Even as a sport fisher, I can't agree that recreational fishing has no impact on the stocks. Rockfish in Puget Sound are a great example of a fish stock done in almost entirely by sport fishing excess.

Any one person's casual 6-8 fish a year might not seem like much, but when you multiply that times 1000 or 5000, the picture starts to look different.

I agree though that the commercial impact, especially from trawling, can be severe and should be more tightly restricted. Trawling especially not only depletes the stocks, but trashes the habitat as well. And also results in an unacceptable amount of dead but not utilized bycatch.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I shouldn't have to pay a licence fee to surf cast or fish off my pleasure boat just because some floating fish factory sucks up all the fish. Go after the people who are depleting the stock, not the pleasure fisher who generally catches nothing at all!

If I go fishing 3 or 4 times a year its a lot. And for years I havent done it at all. The only reason I fished this year is because my 8 year old daughter likes it and is fairly good at it. The 6 or 8 fish we take a year (fluke or flounder or snapper blues) will have zero impact on the environment.
I'm surprised that NJ still doesn't have a salt water license.....
They sure know how to rob....er....tax your eyeballs out in every other conceivable way.......:rolleyes:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Even as a sport fisher, I can't agree that recreational fishing has no impact on the stocks. Rockfish in Puget Sound are a great example of a fish stock done in almost entirely by sport fishing excess.

Any one person's casual 6-8 fish a year might not seem like much, but when you multiply that times 1000 or 5000, the picture starts to look different.

Then they should just ban that fish for a season. In fact, maybe ALL fishing should be banned for one year. Maybe fishing should only be allowed on even years. That would go a long way to letting endangered fish recover.

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

Florida jacked the price on fishing lisences this year $17 for fresh and $17 for salt. They say the new price for a fishing lisence is due to the property tax cuts, what makes it worse is i work for the government so my pay will not go up, no cost of living or merit raise. A friend of mine at FWC said they are not going to have to deal with any budget issues because of the fishing and hunting lisence hikes. I wounder if the price for boat and trailer reg is going up. The price of a fishing trip is so high now i can't go without geting 1 or 2 people to go with me to split the cost of going. Bag limits are not bad yet can still keep 5 trout per person but only one redfish in an 18-27 slot.

I think I would like to have a little cook stove on my boat and catch,clean AND EAT before any game warden nazi could even smell the tarter sauce,,problem is my little boat isnt made for the ocean.

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

can't do that in florida, its illegal to clean a fish on a boat.

woodrat

Ensign

can't do that in florida, its illegal to clean a fish on a boat.

Can't imagine that! I ALWAYS clean fish on the boat.

Usually about the time the ocean salmon season is really turning up, my spring at home runs dry and I have no household water for a month. and it is no fun trying to clean fish at some of the public stations when there are a lot of boats fishing. Besides, unless I am saving guts for crabbing, I like not having to deal with that and just tossing it back in the ocean.

I actually would support a temporary fishing ban, even though my favorite hobby is fishing, but the commercials would never go for that for sure, and it wouldn't solve the problem by itself.