Fishfinders

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice
I would like to buy a good fishfinder. I have spent hours researching and reviewing and am at a loss. What i would like is one that has gps,chart plott,down scan etc.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Fishfinders

What State?
Ocean or Lake?
Budget? $$$
Size of Boat?

Help us help you....
At the top of this page, Click on MY PROFILE.
Next to LOCATION, click the little Yellow Pencil.
Enter your General Location, City, State.

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice
boat electronics

boat electronics

Looking for help finding the right fish finder. I have read lots of reviews and i am overwhelmed .I have a 19 ft. Ranger bass boat and would like help finding a good reliable finder. I would like one with down image,gps,chartplot,for fresh water.Price up to and around $1000.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: boat electronics

I'd suggest the Lowrance Elite 7 HDI. Everything you want and more for under $700 at thegpsstore.com and other retailers. The 83/200 - 455/800 'ducer is your best bet. If you anchor and pitch & crank a lot you may want side scan ~ bass guys are strange ~~. That would take you to a different Lowrance unit or (heaven forbid) Hummingbird. Garmin should be off your list with the changes coming.

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Captain,funny but that is the unit I have been looking at.I found one on E-bay for $639.I hear you about the Humminbirds,don't own one.

superbenk

Commander

You need to add a maps subscription to that cost too, right?

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice

Where would I find a good map subscription? I'm fishing N calif. and So. oregon

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You need to add a maps subscription to that cost too, right?
Not necessarily. A lot of machines come with a full set of preloaded maps included.

Last edited:

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

most finders with mapping come with a standard mapping software installed, however there is additional mapping chips available for more in depth contours/structure. Navionics mapping, google it and find the one you need. you dont have to get the additional chip for the mapping however it does give you alot more information on the lakes in your area becasue they are area specific.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

As moffett cr. had started 2 threads on the same subject I have merged them together in an attempt to reduce confusion. Hope it helps all...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

most finders with mapping come with a standard mapping software installed, however there is additional mapping chips available
while this maybe true for some, it's not true for all. Some units come with a full set of maps with no additional maps required. Others don't use navionics charts at all....lol

moffett cr.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all,not sure how all this works about threads and all.thank you all and good fishing