Fisherman 5.5 Carb Question

atimm693

Seaman
I'm troubleshooting an overly rich condition on this little motor. Have good ignition (coils have been replaced, new points and condensers.) Carb has a new needle, seat, and float. It basically floods at any more than 1/4 throttle. Smokes like crazy and will eventually load up and stall. Runs like a sewing machine at idle though.

I started looking at an IPL of my carb and noticed that there is supposed to be a gasket or seal of some sort around the main jet. It is item #61 in the diagram.

My carb doesn't have anything of the sort around the main jet. If my theory is correct, the missing seal would allow gas to bypass the jet creating a rich condition. I did try fitting an o-ring around the jet but it was too large to fit in the hole. I got the part number and ordered the seal, however it's way too large to be installed the way I imagined it. Could anybody tell me how that seal is oriented? I thought that is slid onto the jet, and sealed against the "shoulder" in the middle. That won't work with the seal I was sent. It could be the wrong part, I'm not really sure.

Last edited:

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I looked at the image attached, and it appears to be too small and is too grainy when zoomed. So I couldn't see the details of what you're trying to describe.

nwcove

Admiral
gee, just finished washing my hands 2 mins ago after rebuilding a 5.5 carb....could have taken pics as i went along.

nwcove

Admiral
heres the gasket you refer to, it gets installed after the nozzle is put in. the one in the pic is an original cork gasket and nfg. i cant imagine your motor even running without this gasket in place as it seals the bowl to the upper carb body. you " may " have a fuel pump issue?

atimm693

Seaman
I apologize for the photos. Maybe this one will work. I cannot direct link apparently and attaching IMG tags results in a grainy photo. I uploaded it to Photobucket this time. Again the seal in question is #61 in the diagram.

The bowl gasket is in good shape and in place. That's not the one I'm having questions about.

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral
the pic i posted is part 61, not 57. both as important as each other tho.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
The gasket slides down over top of the nozzle, after threading in the nozzle.Should be snug against the nozzle.

I use o rings myself. Buy a bag of 201Bs? Let me verify that number, its late.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your original theory is correct. The missing nozzle gasket allows gas to bypass the main jet (orifice plug), which will make it run lean. The correct gasket is a close fit on the main nozzle and approximately 1/8" thick. I too, also use an o-ring. 1/8" thick by 1/4" I.D. I'd have the number if I were out in the shop.

atimm693

Seaman
It all makes sense now. The diagram seems to imply that the gasket is supposed to go onto the jet before you screw it in. I see now that it goes on after and seals the jet to the passage in the lower carb body. Somebody must have monkeyed with this carb before me and left that seal out, it was missing when I got it.

atimm693

Seaman
Replaced that seal in the correct fashion and it runs great now. Thanks for the help everyone.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had to look twice at the diagram as it does look like it supposed to go in first. Luckily no one tampered with any of my carbs and I knew it just fitted over the jet, I never knew why just refitted as I found it lol