Fished Columbia Lake .. 1st time on Thursday

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
32* air temp with bath water .. started out finessing with plastics up on shoreline rocks and some shallow stumps found that was going no where quick .. then switched to some shallow cranks and got into a bunch of little pisser smallies and large mouths. went-on like that for close to an hour then turned around to open water and found the Hybrid Stripers we were looking for. Most came on shad raps and rattle traps with a few fun top water hits on a torpedo. Was very suprised! Landed a 21" - guessing 6/7lb. hybrid.<br /><br />
29vcyx
<br /><br />
29vd4z
<br /><br />Was a real interesting outing! As soon as we were able to locate a few schools of gizard shad it was just a matter of finding a retrieval rate they liked.

gonfishn

Commander
Re: Fished Columbia Lake .. 1st time on Thursday

Now tell us the rest of the story TJ...Your email said something else happened when you were fishn..<br /><br />Care to share that with em or should i wait till I get your email on the explantion side. Its the interesting outing I want to here about<br /><br /> :D :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I always wanted to try it there, just never got around to it. Maybe next winter.<br /><br />It kind of sounds like you were using a boat? Did they ever put a launch ramp in?

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

well GF .. ya let the cat outta the bag! :cool: <br /><br />here's a taste of what I was talkin' about.. LMAO I'll let you chew on this for a while. I have to get going here fishing the Fox River today up in DePere and I need to get my rear end goin' here. The first pic should give you an idea how the day went..<br /><br />Oh.. like the hat? ;) <br /><br />
2am8eu
2amalf
<br /><br />oh yea.. no boat landing yet roscoe.. need to carry the boat down an embankment to the water @ 80' with close to a 35-40* slope (I'm guessin'). <br /><br />Real strange! .. feet were warm the whole time but the air gave your body a good chill.<br /><br />I'll let ya in on more later on when i get back from yankin' 'eye's. :D

LadyFish

Admiral

I can't figure out what your messin with in the boat, are those snow shoes? :confused: <br /><br />And the hat is okay Barlow, but is that a fishin lure earring you're wearin in your left ear lobe?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Is that you Barlow?<br /><br />You seem to have gotten a lot younger, and thinner, since the last picture of you sitting in the snowbank in your underwear. :D :D

fireman57

Captain

I don't even know Barlow but after roscoe's comment I need to go slaughter a hog to get that image out of my mind.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

oh no... no ear rings for this guy, LF. I think what you're seein' is part of the linyard for my glasses.. I hope! - broke out the Minnesota 'rally hat' for GF. :p <br /><br />yer killin me roscoe! :D thanx to that new diet of salt pork, herring and coffee I'm a new man! :p <br /><br />If you look back in DC a month or two Fireman.. you'll see a pic thats a little on the hilarious side!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like an interesting trip, barlow.<br /><br />LF, that looks like he's hitting something with the blunt side of a hatchet! Knocking a few holes in the bottom of the boat to let in some warm water there, barlow?<br /><br />Are you eating any of those power-plant-lake fish?<br /><br />Interesting, two of our area powerplant lakes have no white bass or hybrids because they can't survive the hot water in the summertime.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

that would be @ 9" of ice in the old 'retired' 14' duck boat JT ( I'm torn between telling it here or in 'Stupid Human Tricks While Boating/Fishing' ...lol I'll get to that a bit later :rolleyes: <br /><br />not eating any of those fish JT .. just don't trust them to begin with plus I'd rather eat walleyes out of cold water. These fish were so soft it was sort of a shock at first when handling them. Felt mushy - I couldn't imagine them being any good on the table.<br /><br />I'm not too sure on the water temp effects on these fish here but, one thing I understand is that they have a short life span @ 5yrs. I'm guessing that the temps don't reach much higher than a certain level.. they supliment the lake with river water from the near-by Wisconsin river so i'd guess that helps in keeping the temps lower. Plus our average air temps up here are lower too so that might have something to do with it too.. ?? not sure but, sounds good. The lake is @ 500 acres and pretty shallow.. only a few small 10'+ holes. The State record which is out of this Lake (since its the only one containing hybrids) is @ 13.5 lbs caught in '02. Gizard shad are the primary forage in it.. and the DNR even stocks them.<br /><br />what's your favorite way to fish these things JT?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Barlow:<br />what's your favorite way to fish these things JT?
There's probably a dozen lakes within 100 miles of me, but the ones I frequent the most are 30,000 to 45,000 acres with depths up to 80 feet. The hybrids are mostly caught using a vertical jigging presentation with slabs (a thin hunk of lead in the general shape of a shad). <br /><br />Find a hump or a deep-water point holding schools of baitfish, mostly threadfin shad, & bounce the slab off the bottom. Sometimes those hybrids will hug the bottom so close they don't show up on the graphs. If you're marking suspended fish, obviously you want to jig at that depth. Usually find 'em on 18 to 24 or 25 foot humps surrounded by deeper water 30 or 50 feet deep. Sometimes a slow-moving sassy shad does the trick. Sometimes trolling a spoon using a hellbender as a downrigger.<br /><br />Also, we got flocks of sea gulls that attack the shad from above when the predator fish are chasing 'em up from below - it's always a sure thing when you see the birds circling & diving.<br /><br />Another good way to find 'em is, go to a lake close to the city on the weekend, look for converging boats with bending rods, and join the "boat show."<br /><br />When the weather gets to warming up they start schooling up on the surface, a lot of times mixed in with white bass, then you just drive around the lake looking for jumping fish, then cast something shiny like a castmaster spoon or a little george. Or if you like topwater lures, a chug bug or clear tiny torpedo. That ought to start up in about a month.