Fish Finder loosing depth signal at cruising speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaboater

Seaman
Re: Fish Finder loosing depth signal at cruising speed

We just bought a Truimph 190DC. Love the boat. It come with a Hummingbird 100 tx. It cuts out at about 13mph. I had a eagle on my other boat and it never cut out and the boat would run about 40mph. I was also reading depths of 585' to 600' in a lake that is only 40'at the deepest spot and we wer miles from at spot in 20' of water. The girl friend and I figured out how to fix the problem. We have a new Eagle on the way. I have had three Eagles and mounted according to directions and have never had a problem.

Dbailey

Seaman

There is no flat spot on which to mount the transducer. Is there anything that I can mount in order to achieve a flat mounting surface? I think i remember hearing about a nylon block or something. Any info?

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

smokey schematic's got it right Ive had an Eagle and a hummingbird both an had to tilt it slighty forward to get a solid reading at all speeds on a 19' deep vee :confused:

fishfearme

Seaman Apprentice

You all have some good ideas and suggestions. I think mine is worth repeating. " Dont' go where birds walk." <br />Nough Said.

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello fishfearme,<br /><br />Sorry for that body, I may be dum, but the hell you mean ?<br /><br />Smoky

Big Al1

Seaman

Try different depths. My Humminbird legend 1000 was crapping out so I though if I lowered it it would work better - Nope. You must find the right depth. On my jon boat, the best depth was with the bottom of the transducer at the same depth as the bottom of the hull. Angled in does help too. You want it skimming the water and not digging through it or jumping across the top.

Cast-Away

Seaman Apprentice

I use to have the same problem until I switched the Humminbird to the electric motor on the bow and put My Eagle on the transom. The Eagle has a torpedo shaped tranducer that works at all speeds. <br /><br />I first tried adding a plastic board to the transom to move the finder away from the hull turbulance. This worked up to 30 mph. I left the board in place for mounting other toys including the Eagle so that I am not making new holes in the hull all of the time. <br /><br />The board is available through Cabela's. See the image below. The image also shows Eagle transducers and their shape. Note how different it is than the Humminbird.<br /><br />
i010102hz02.jpg

D

DJ

I have had the same experience with H'birds VS. Eagles.<br /><br />My transducer is mounted on a block (Starboard) on the transom. This affords me the ability to move it around without drilling holes in the transom.<br /><br />If you can't find Starboard, plastic cutting boards are made of nearly the same stuff.<br /><br />You can see the mounting of mine here:<br /><br /> http://mypeoplepc.com/members/djohns19/djohns19/

Tom3600

Cadet
I know this is a very old string but germane to my problem...finding a depth finder that works while underway! My old boat had a internally mounted transducer and even at 55 mph it would read depth. Not sure how accurate but it would read. Bought a used Sportcraft 22' and it came with an expensive Hummingbird with GPS but the second I go over 7-8 mph it reads 1 foot! I fish Presque Isle Bay in Erie PA and the depth changes radically in some places. I can't keep slowing my boat down to see what the depth is. There has got to be a unit for sale somewhere that will read at 15 mph! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Very old? Yeah, over 13 years old is very old.

Start a new thread! Sonar technology has changed a lot 13+ years. Also the transducer needs to stay in the water to read depth.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.