Fish Finder advise.

jmerc57

Cadet
Im having a hard time making a decision on which way to go. I have a Garmin GPSMap 440 and also had a Garmin160C Fishfinder, Unfortunately someone BORROWED my fishfinder from my boat and unless I find out who BorroweD it I dont think they will be returning it any time soon. Anyway I liked the unit but found it to be to small for me to see from the stern of the boat. I was thinking of upgrading to the Furuno FCV 620 but it is considerably more money. Can anyone offer any opinions on which way I should go ? Do I go with another Garmin or the larger display Furuno or something else like (opinions)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fish Finder advise.

i agree with you, i would like a bigger monitor. i am looking to upgrade myself, and it will have the gps feature on it.

tmartin

Seaman Apprentice

The new Raymarine A series units comne with their dynomite depth finders--even their new wide-beam models.

http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.aspx?SITE=1&SECTION=2&PAGE=1863&PRODUCT=4206

I have found their HD depth finders awesome. I guarantee you won't be dissappointed.

The below pic is from their HD technology, in 2006.

aSturgeoninWinchesterbay.jpg

LargebaitballDEEP.jpg

ChinookonColumbia.jpg

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Lowrance, Furuno and Garmin are all good brands but the first steps in picking a depth finder is making sure it meets your needs.
First a freshwater bass fisher man does not need a lot of power or a super high resolution. A deep Saltwater fisherman need lots of power and high resolution and dual frequency. So first make sure it meets your needs.
Second decide if want color and get a size screen you will be happy with.

I think Lowrance has the brighest color screens and best resoultion until get deeper than 300 feet of salt then I like Furuno.

In your case if you still have the transducer You may want to find another Garmin that can use the same transducer.

JIGGER

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Eagle 642 IGPs with mapcreate software and LOVE IT! Got 800 bucks in all. Great for depths to 100ft.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm running a FCV 585 so you know what my recommendation is ;)

Once you go digital you'll never go back to a conventional sounder again.