First Wheelie!

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My oldest son "4" pulled his first wheelie the other day. My father and I have been racing quads now for about 10 years. He has since retired and no longer races but still rides. He now owns a few scramblers, which I always make fun of him for. Well we were out at his house and my son asked my dad if he would take him for a ride. My father said sure. So the jumped on the quad and took of through the trails. About five minutes later they came back through and dad stopped the quad in the yard. I heard him say " do you want to give it gas" As I turned around all I see is my son nail the throttle and my dad had a look on his face like OH MY WTF am I going to do. They rode this wheelie half way accross the yard and my dad finally snapped out of his "I am going to hurt like hell after this" moment. He pulled my sons arm off the throttle and came to a skidding stop tearing a good patch out of my step mothers beautiful grass. He shut the quad off and helped my son down and walked over and said "And you said this thing could'nt ride a wheelie". At the time it waas pretty scary and luckliy nobody ws hurt. I just though that I would share this. What happened I think is that my son is so used to his little 50cc he just thought he could give it gas and go like on his. Cheers.

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: First Wheelie!

Funny, now it's in his blood.
My son has a sportsman 90. I have a Scrambler 500 & I love that quad. I can wheely it all day long.

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the TRX 450R and he has the eton. He does fairly well. I was a little nerveos when he first started riding. But as long as he is were all of his PPE I rest assure that he will be alright. He likes to ride like his uncle and I but sometimes gets a little to big for his britches. I was so funny one day. He came around a corner a little to fast and rolled on his side. We ran over to make sure he was all right. He had grass hanging from his helmet and chest gaurd. He got up and helped flip his quad back over. He like at my brother and said I wrecked just like you uncle Jason. I lost it. Had to walk away I was laughing so hard. My brother did not find it to funny but it was the truth.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Something like 1,000 youngsters a year die while showing off and trying to be like "Uncle" on a quad, Capthook.

I sure hope you and your "4" don't think either of you is immortal.

jasonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 5 year old not only popped a wheelie on a new go cart I brought home, but pirouetted around on the back wheels for a few revolutions before coming to a rest on its side. I crouched down behind him, feet on the rear axle, to monitor his progression. We were in a grassy field when we did this, BTW. My weight combined with his inexperienced jab on the throttle popped the nose straight up. When I fell off, the one drive wheel spun him around and around until it flipped over!

He was speechless after I raced over to right the cart and make sure he was ok. After a minute, he was good to go and acted like nothing ever happened.

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Something like 1,000 youngsters a year die while showing off and trying to be like "Uncle" on a quad, Capthook.

I sure hope you and your "4" don't think either of you is immortal.

JB, well aware of statistics. " I am more then likely in half of them" When my son said he was like his uncle he meant by wrecking. He was not showing off just something that happens when you are in the racing profession of ATVS. Like I have said we wear all PPE that will keep us as safe as possible. The sport of quad racing is a very disciplinary sport, not only that but it keeps you in such great shape. After you race a 6-hour iron man series you feel like a million dollars even if you don't win. It is the satisfaction of completing and competing. I would rather have my son out riding his ATV then out on the streets with a bunch of kids that could just as easily kill my kid then an ATV. I would rather get him interested now and train him and shpw him the dicipline of the sport. I hope that I am not coming off as being rude JB just letting you know how I see it from my point. Cheers

Thousands of deaths each year are the result of ATV crashes. The toll that these crashes take usually result injuries ending in death or permanent physical damage. Spinal cord and brain injuries are quite common. An increasingly high number of these accidents involve children and teens under the age of 12.

ATV crashes are usually the result of the person driving using irresponsible practices and not paying attention. The dangers associated with the improper operation of an ATV are typically the result of young drivers who are usually inexperienced. A majority of ATV operators do not wear a helmet which is one of the primary safety requirements. Additionally, the majority of ATV crash deaths are accounted for by head injuries.

To the surprise of many people, drug and alcohol use are responsible for up to 30% of ATV crashes. By using an ATV while you are under the influence of either drugs or alcohol can end up leading to a disregard for ATV safety as well as a lack of concentration. Excessive speed as well as areas of operation that are not rideable can end up being deadly.

You will find that many individuals use their ATV on roads that are public which creates a higher risk of a two vehicle accident. Because ATVs have a higher center of gravity that can contribute to instability while traveling at high speeds. The majority of crashes happen typically within the first 30 days of ownership prior to the operator having a chance to becoming proficient with their ATV operations.

ATV Crashes -- Having to Deal with the Consequences

The majority of ATV crash trauma and death happen with minors who are 16 years old or under. Parents of these adolescents typically fail to comprehend the significance and importance of safety education and supervision. Physicians experience a high degree of difficulty to address grief stricken parents after such an accident has occurred.

In the event of permanent damage or death many parents feel they are to blame. This is an occurrence that many parents will have to live with for the rest of their lives. It is a tragic fact that parents do not comprehend the potential hazards and dangers before it's too late.

ATV crashes also account for many millions of dollars each year in medical expenses. Tragically, it is a rare occasion when a crash does not end up requiring medical attention. This can be a traumatic experience if the family happens to not have health insurance.

ATV Safety Practices

If you're going to ride an ATV you should always wear protective clothing and a helmet. Investigate your local area for ATV rider education programs which show you the best rider safety instructions. Never let your teenager carry a passenger on the ATV and whenever possible stop or at least limit the riding upon public roadways.

Do not let your teenager ride an ATV that is too large in size for them to be able to handle and never allow them to operate any ATVs that have only three wheels. Safety education and supervision is very important and could very likely save the life of your child or even your life.

Taken from: http://www.reprint-content.com/Article/ATV-Crashes---The-Eye-Opening-Statistics/92971

Now for car deaths:

A car accident or car crash is an incident in which an automobile collides with anything that causes damage to the automobile, including other automobiles, telephone poles, buildings or trees, or in which the driver loses control of the vehicle and damages it in some other way, such as driving into a ditch or rolling over. Sometimes a car accident may also refer to an automobile striking a human or animal. Car crashes — also called road traffic accidents (RTAs), traffic collisions, auto accidents, road accidents, personal injury collisions, motor vehicle accidents (MVAs), — kill an estimated 1.2 million people worldwide each year, and injure about forty times this number (WHO, 2004). In the UK the Department of Transport publish road deaths in each type of vehicle. These statistics are available as "Risk of injury measured by percentage of drivers injured in a two car injury accident." These statistics show a ten to one ratio of in-vehicle accident deaths between the least safe and most safe models of car.

The statistics show[citation needed] that for popular, lightly built cars, occupants have a 6–8% chance of death in a two-car accident. (e.g. BMW 3 series 6%, Subaru Impreza 8%, Honda Accord 6%). Traditional "safety cars" such as the Volvos halve that chance (Volvo 700 4% incidence of death, Volvo 900 3%).

The Toyota Land Cruiser SUV has a 6% incidence of occupant death in actual crashes. However, in multiple-vehicle crashes SUVs are not much more lethal than passenger cars.

Although, rollovers are much more common in older SUVs as compared to passenger cars because of their top weight. For this reason SUVs actually post a greater threat to rollover and cause a fatality rather than passenger cars. Newer SUVs such as the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 have a lower center of gravity and enhanced stability control programs which lower the risk of rollover substantially.

Overall the four best vehicles to be in are the Jaguar XJ series 1%, Mercedes-Benz S-Class / SEC 1%, Land Rover Defender 1% and Land Rover Discovery 1%.[citation needed]

Motorcyclist deaths within England and Wales stand at 53% of the annual road death statistics. Scooters/mopeds up to 50cc only account for 3% of those deaths. 2% of the scooter deaths were 16–19 year olds who had not taken CBT (Compulsory Basic Training). (Statistics taken from 2004/2005 DSA annual road deaths percentages)

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_accident

Last edited:

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

jesus jb!!! i'm sure capt knows the risks involved in the sport...and it sounds as if he and his father take all neccesary precautions...why must u be such a buzz kill..would it be better if the kid stayed inside watching tv or playing video games all day...i rode dirt bikes and go carts since i was 6.i still have a quad although theres no place to leagally ride near me..it show kids how to act responsible when operating vechicles..a couple of wipeouts and scrapes teaches you!! theres a chance you could be struck by lightning so i guess no bbqs for you huh!!

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

a 12 year old in our town that was number 1 rated racer is now parelized so it happens broke his neck in a race