First used cruiser / cuddy cabin: questions and recommendations

pred02

Seaman
I am following up with a post I had earlier this month as now we have a better idea of what we are looking for, our budget, etc.

Basically we are looking at a 24-25 Cruiser with a cabin that sleeps 4 people. Our price range is approx. $30,000 - $35,000 hence we are looking at a 2003-2006 vintage of the following models: Sea Ray Sundancer 240, Four Winns Vista 248, Chaparral 240 Sig. A couple of questions

1. In addition to Sea Ray, Four Winns, and Chaparall did we leave out any manf. in this sport cruiser class? We are looking for top quality Amer. manf above Bayliner as this boat we plan on keeping a long time and shipping to Europe. I know brands are a personal preference but I just though I have everyone pitch in

2. Most of these boats are configured similar, but we notice, for example that 240DA does not come with the following features that we would want:

a. Ancor Roller
b. Spot Light
c. GPS

Can the dealer install the above options (as we are shipping the boat after purchase directly)? Approximately how much would each of these cost in terms of parts and labor? We need a European Garmin (with Euro maps) so would the dealer accept we purchase our own GPS and just pay for install when we purchase the boat?

3. Vacuflush / Pump Out / Porta Potti head system - what are the differences between these (ok I understand Porta potti) I notice that some boats have the vacuflush option and others don't. As far as the head/bathroom goes what are the differences and are they a feature worth picking a specific boat for?

4. Penta / Mercrusier - ok, I know this is personal preferences but the two engines offered on these boats include the MERC 5.0L MPI BR3 versus the VOLVO 5.0L GXI. I presume they are very similar in terms of reliability, performance, etc, but I though I let people know of any subjective feedback.

5. Engine (hours on the boat) - we would like our first used boat to be hassle free at least in the first couple of years of ownership. Hence, I assumed that an <100 hours engine is going to be like new. What are some of the large maintenance intervals for these inboard engines and if you wanted a hassle free engine with how many hours would you purchase the boat?

6. Saltwater vs freshwater - the boat we are purchasing will be used in saltwater exclusively. Is buying a pre-owned freshwater boat only a major advantage (i.e. look for freshwater boats) versus saltwater, and if not what are some of the things we need to look out for when buying a boat that was run in the saltwater?

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Kind regards!

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First used cruiser / cuddy cabin: questions and recommendations

I'll add what I can...

Basically we are looking at a 24-25 Cruiser with a cabin that sleeps 4 people. Our price range is approx. $30,000 - $35,000 hence we are looking at a 2003-2006 vintage of the following models: Sea Ray Sundancer 240, Four Winns Vista 248, Chaparral 240 Sig. A couple of questions

>>> Unless at least (2) of them are small kids, you won't find a boat that is comfortable for (4) if you'll be on board more than 1 night. Shoot for a slightly older 30' boat with twin motors (in my opinion, since I have a 30' Sea Ray Sundancer 1989).

1. In addition to Sea Ray, Four Winns, and Chaparall did we leave out any manf. in this sport cruiser class? We are looking for top quality Amer. manf above Bayliner as this boat we plan on keeping a long time and shipping to Europe. I know brands are a personal preference but I just though I have everyone pitch in

2. Most of these boats are configured similar, but we notice, for example that 240DA does not come with the following features that we would want:

a. Ancor Roller <<< Easy to add a ROLLER but if you want a WINDLASS then prepare to spend about $1,000 or so. Look for a boat that has one if possible.

b. Spot Light <<< Have one and never use it. Not important in my opinion. Get a handheld if necessary and it will be easier to use (much faster redirection or pointing for example).

c. GPS. <<< A good option but quite cheap. Don't let this be an issue, and if it doesn't come with boat you can get the newest \ best you can afford and buy it in Europe.

Can the dealer install the above options (as we are shipping the boat after purchase directly)? Approximately how much would each of these cost in terms of parts and labor? We need a European Garmin (with Euro maps) so would the dealer accept we purchase our own GPS and just pay for install when we purchase the boat?

3. Vacuflush / Pump Out / Porta Potti head system - what are the differences between these (ok I understand Porta potti) I notice that some boats have the vacuflush option and others don't. As far as the head/bathroom goes what are the differences and are they a feature worth picking a specific boat for? <<<< Not a big deal. All work but Vacuflush is the best. Others may disagree here.

4. Penta / Mercrusier - ok, I know this is personal preferences but the two engines offered on these boats include the MERC 5.0L MPI BR3 versus the VOLVO 5.0L GXI. I presume they are very similar in terms of reliability, performance, etc, but I though I let people know of any subjective feedback. <<<< Not important if condition, maintenance, and hours are similar. In any boat above 25' look for twins but NOT 4 or 6 cylinder twins.

5. Engine (hours on the boat) - we would like our first used boat to be hassle free at least in the first couple of years of ownership. Hence, I assumed that an <100 hours engine is going to be like new. What are some of the large maintenance intervals for these inboard engines and if you wanted a hassle free engine with how many hours would you purchase the boat? <<< NOTHING is "hassle-free" on a boat. Look for about 50-80 hours per year. Lower means not enough use, higher could indicate heavy use. Have them checked by a certified marine mechanic, including leak down and compression testing (all this is separate from a hull survey, which is also CRITICAL).

6. Saltwater vs freshwater - the boat we are purchasing will be used in saltwater exclusively. Is buying a pre-owned freshwater boat only a major advantage (i.e. look for freshwater boats) versus saltwater, and if not what are some of the things we need to look out for when buying a boat that was run in the saltwater? << No comment her, others may weigh in...

GOOD LUCK and don't be hasty !!!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Just going to add my two cents,
first we have an older 270 sundancer 10 foot on beam 30 foot over all, twin 260 mercs.
older models have lots of room and are not as tight as the new ones.
these boats are big, deep and heavy, so shoot for big horses
any parts you can imagin for your boat, can be had for a price, but you should be able to find out what was/is available from the MFG for the boats your looking for on line. :)
good luck and take your time
rob

pred02

Seaman

>>> Unless at least (2) of them are small kids, you won't find a boat that is comfortable for (4) if you'll be on board more than 1 night. Shoot for a slightly older 30' boat with twin motors (in my opinion, since I have a 30' Sea Ray Sundancer 1989).

As the boat is being shipped to Europe we need it to be trailer able. We are not looking to live on the boat but to have the cabin to protect against choppy seas and potential one-two night trips. When traveling with the boat to other islands we would reside at the marina where visiting and can find accommodations there.

NOTHING is "hassle-free" on a boat. Look for about 50-80 hours per year. Lower means not enough use, higher could indicate heavy use. Have them checked by a certified marine mechanic, including leak down and compression testing (all this is separate from a hull survey, which is also CRITICAL).

We are seeing a lot of 2004 vintage boats with <100 hours of use. Should we stay away from these?

Easy to add a ROLLER but if you want a WINDLASS then prepare to spend about $1,000 or so. Look for a boat that has one if possible.

I am not sure any of the manf. above have this as a standard feature (i've seen a few options). Can this be added to any 24ft boat?

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

--In your price range, you can shoot for a 260/270. Still towable but the extra 2" will be worth it.

--Rinker, Crowline, Regal (BTW if I could own *any* 30' cruiser it would be a newer Bayliner 3055)

a. Ancor Roller
b. Spot Light
c. GPS

--Non-issues, adding them yourself is easy.

3. Vacuflush / Pump Out / Porta Potti head system - what are the differences between these (ok I understand Porta potti) I notice that some boats have the vacuflush option and others don't. As far as the head/bathroom goes what are the differences and are they a feature worth picking a specific boat for?

--IMO pump out has less to go wrong with it.

4. Penta / Mercrusier - ok, I know this is personal preferences but the two engines offered on these boats include the MERC 5.0L MPI BR3 versus the VOLVO 5.0L GXI. I presume they are very similar in terms of reliability, performance, etc, but I though I let people know of any subjective feedback.

--Volvo is European. Since you are moving there, get Volvo. Will be harder to get Mercruiser parts in Europe.

5. Engine (hours on the boat) - we would like our first used boat to be hassle free at least in the first couple of years of ownership. Hence, I assumed that an <100 hours engine is going to be like new. What are some of the large maintenance intervals for these inboard engines and if you wanted a hassle free engine with how many hours would you purchase the boat?

--Also mentioned, figure 30-70 hours per year is good.

6. Saltwater vs freshwater - the boat we are purchasing will be used in saltwater exclusively. Is buying a pre-owned freshwater boat only a major advantage (i.e. look for freshwater boats) versus saltwater, and if not what are some of the things we need to look out for when buying a boat that was run in the saltwater?

-- I don't know this one.

Kind regards![/QUOTE]