First trip of the year, trouble shifting, 2005 Johnson 90hp J90GLSOB 2 stroke carb'd

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

An update, I was able to get the corroded motor mount bolt out. The threaded end was corroded into the aluminum motor housing. I thought the bolt head was stripped beyond usefulness, but a gave it one more try with a 5/8" socket on the 3/8" breaker bar and turned it clockwise since it was no longer threaded into the motor mount - that broke it free and I was able to punch it out easily after that. The corrosion definitely dissolved some of aluminum where the threads were touching the housing thru hole, but I don't think it will affect the assembly.

The new mounts came in the mail yesterday and now I'm just waiting on the new bolt to be able to re-assemble everything. Hopefully that'll do it. I'm wondering if I should grease the motor mounts and/or use anti-seize on the bolts?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• photo265928.jpg
    photo265928.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 4
  • photo265929.jpg
    photo265929.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 4

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
An update, I was able to get the corroded motor mount bolt out. The threaded end was corroded into the aluminum motor housing. I thought the bolt head was stripped beyond usefulness, but a gave it one more try with a 5/8" socket on the 3/8" breaker bar and turned it clockwise since it was no longer threaded into the motor mount - that broke it free and I was able to punch it out easily after that. The corrosion definitely dissolved some of aluminum where the threads were touching the housing thru hole, but I don't think it will affect the assembly.

The new mounts came in the mail yesterday and now I'm just waiting on the new bolt to be able to re-assemble everything. Hopefully that'll do it. I'm wondering if I should grease the motor mounts and/or use anti-seize on the bolts?

Thanks,
Dave
cool...use marine grease on the threads and the thru-holes in the steering tube...ditto for the mount cover bolts....use grease...never anti-seize

as far as the mount....grease will help and maybe freeze them to try to shrink them a bit....clean out the corrosion where the mounts mount (the exhaust housing)

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks - I wasn't sure if using the Marine anti-seize stuff was a good idea or not. I've heard conflicting opinions. I have the service manual to reference as well. I have another friend with lots of marine motor experience that also says never anti-seize, always marine grease...!

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

As I was cleaning up the shop and some parts this evening I managed to pop the piece of aluminum off of the motor mount housing cover that had cracked due to the corrosion. I looked on eBay and it looks like I can get a replacement cover used in good shape fairly cheaply. But just for fun I decided to make a temporary repair with this JB Weld "Steel Stick" product I have used a couple of times in the past with pretty good success.

I was able to place the part on a wooden dowel in the vise with wax paper over the top of the dowel - the diameter being about the same as the hole I was filling. The result is a rather ugly repair that might hold, and the nice part is the inside of the cover has a nice neat and tight fit over the hole with a good lip seal (I think).

If it doesn't work well over time, no big deal. I had the JB Weld stuff on hand and a couple of beers, and the time tonight.

We'll see...I plan on installing the new mounts this weekend. Hope to be back on the water soon.

Dave

Attachments

• photo266030.jpg
    photo266030.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo266031.jpg
    photo266031.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 2

Fed

Commander
Keep the progress reports & pictures coming Dave, it's very helpful for people tackling the same job.

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Thanks Fed, I feel the same way in that I hope this will help someone else troubleshoot and DIY this same repair some day.

They're in! Pretty straightforward. I used soapy water to lube the mounts up a little and a block of wood and mallet to tap them in evenly.

I stopped by my marine mechanic's to pick up some triple guard grease yesterday, and I asked him if he would bother to grease up the whole thing - he said no, but he would put some gasket seal around the covers. Not sure why since they are not designed to be waterproof...but I did it anyway and I greased the fasteners. My JB Weld repair seems OK for now too.

The best part is I can move the shift lever at the console with one finger now. Better than ever! I'll be starting her up tomorrow one more time in the driveway then down to the ramp and parked in the slip if everything is cool.

Happy Memorial Day to all of our Veterans and citizens. And RIP Gregg Allman, one of my musical heroes. Another great one gone.

Dave

Attachments

• photo266093.jpg
    photo266093.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 6
  • photo266094.jpg
    photo266094.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo266095.jpg
    photo266095.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 5
  • photo266096.jpg
    photo266096.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 4

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Fed, I feel the same way in that I hope this will help someone else troubleshoot and DIY this same repair some day.

They're in! Pretty straightforward. I used soapy water to lube the mounts up a little and a block of wood and mallet to tap them in evenly.

I stopped by my marine mechanic's to pick up some triple guard grease yesterday, and I asked him if he would bother to grease up the whole thing - he said no, but he would put some gasket seal around the covers. Not sure why since they are not designed to be waterproof...but I did it anyway and I greased the fasteners. My JB Weld repair seems OK for now too.

The best part is I can move the shift lever at the console with one finger now. Better than ever! I'll be starting her up tomorrow one more time in the driveway then down to the ramp and parked in the slip if everything is cool.

Happy Memorial Day to all of our Veterans and citizens. And RIP Gregg Allman, one of my musical heroes. Another great one gone.

Dave
and a pic of the **** rod in the hole please.

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The shifting is unbelievably smooth...never been this smooth before. Pretty much could use one finger if plausible. Boat is back in the slip, my 14 YO son and I went for a nice shakedown cruise yesterday and she ran beautifully. Too bad our weather is so crappy today, or we would have been at the beach (by boat of course)...!

Thanks again for everyone's input and hopefully this thread will help someone troubleshoot and repair down the line.

Cheers,
Dave