First Tow, and other misadventures

FastFission

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: First Tow, and other misadventures

FastFission, Here's a suggestion to keep your lovely admiral dry: Get yourself a nice lightweight aluminum boat-hook and hand it to her as you are approaching the dock, have her stay in the boat and put a hook on the cleat from her dry comfortable seat while you hop on the dock and tie everything ship-shape. Also, taking an extra minute to come into the dock nice and slow should give you plenty of
time to get everything in order.
My admiral of 20 years loves to jump up on the bow of the boat like she's in charge of docking. I have to ask her to please sit down and stay in the boat nearly every time! (i may need to hide our boat hook!)
That's kind of where I think I'm going. I've already got a nice little boat hook, and I think I'll just have her pick up the dock cleat with a loop on the stern line. I figure I'm going to be going ashore to do the rest of the lines anyway as I'm the "boat nerd" here.

NHGuy

Captain

FastFission, sailing teaches many things new powerboaters can't comprehend til faced with them. The fact that you knew enough to take it easy and check ahead says to me that you are a considerate boater and likely to be a successful one.
Keep on being thoughtful and safe.
I think you sound like you figure things out before you allow yourself to be caught in bad positions.
And I commend you for helping folks who were in a bad way.

FastFission

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking about adding another set of cleats on the flat part of the gunwale just aft of the seats. That would let me get a short spring line to the dock cleat until I could get a bow line on. That would only be necessary if the wind or current was such that it would push the bow away from the dock.

Of course, I could just send the admiral to the foredeck with a bowline and the hook...

Anyone think that's a good (or bad) idea?

overhead.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Everyone I have ever towed (and it's been many) has offered money, and I have to tell them that it's against the law for me to accept it. I will however accept a beer or soda, as that is okay.

Not to get technical, but technically, if you accept any compensation for services in connection with using your boat, you are running a commercial enterprise, for which, technically, you need a license or two and to meet other technical requirements. Technically, accepting gas money, whether from a passenger or someone you tow, is compensation. Technically, your friend bringing the beer and sandwiches on the fishing trip, or the guy you tow giving you a beer, is compensation, the same as cash. So technically, you are incorrect.

But "the law does not concern itself with trivial things." There are, realistically (but not technically) two ways it can matter. The first is if a licensed charter captain doesn't like your unlicensed competition and turns you in (guys advertise on craigslist for a day's fishing for $75 per head "gas money"). The other is if you get in a serious accident (serious as in death or sunken boat) and your insurance carrier tries to weasel out of coverage due to the commercial enterprise. So if you make it back to the dock without incident, you can take the gas money.

Not that you should.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I can't believe you dunked the wife and instead of getting pics or video of that you post pictures of your boat on the trailer.....

Seriously I think you did great, and possibly learned something in the process.

As I have stated before taking some money to cover your gas shouldn't be considered taking payment for your services but until it is tested in court the law is the law.

TilliamWe

Banned

Not to get technical, but technically, if you accept any compensation for services in connection with using your boat, you are running a commercial enterprise, for which, technically, you need a license or two and to meet other technical requirements. Technically, accepting gas money, whether from a passenger or someone you tow, is compensation. Technically, your friend bringing the beer and sandwiches on the fishing trip, or the guy you tow giving you a beer, is compensation, the same as cash. So technically, you are incorrect.

But "the law does not concern itself with trivial things." There are, realistically (but not technically) two ways it can matter. The first is if a licensed charter captain doesn't like your unlicensed competition and turns you in (guys advertise on craigslist for a day's fishing for $75 per head "gas money"). The other is if you get in a serious accident (serious as in death or sunken boat) and your insurance carrier tries to weasel out of coverage due to the commercial enterprise. So if you make it back to the dock without incident, you can take the gas money.

Not that you should.

blah blah blah.