first time water sports

jor593

Seaman Apprentice
i really wanna start getting into water sports probably going to start with knee boarding. about how fast does your boat need to be able to go to pull one or two knee boarders or tubes? my boat goes about 35 anything you can tell me would be helpful thanks!

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: first time water sports

i really wanna start getting into water sports probably going to start with knee boarding. about how fast does your boat need to be able to go to pull one or two knee boarders or tubes? my boat goes about 35 anything you can tell me would be helpful thanks!

I am no expert, but have been doing these things for 40+ years. Knee boarding is pretty easy (in fact I did some yesterday). If you have a boat capable of 35 mph, you should be fine with knee boarding or tubing. Knee boards are a good place to start: easy to learn. When I have young children, they love the knee board and the boat hardly needs to be moving at all to give them a feel for it.

Boat power is really important for skiing, especially deep water slalom starts. You may not have enough power for that. Can you give us some idea of your setup? Boat size, weight, engine make and horsepower.

Have fun and be careful out there. You can have a blast doing these things.
:D

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My wife pulls me about 23MPH on my knee board. If it's rough a tad faster and it helps pave the wake a bit for me.

I'm a bigger guy, you can probably get away with slower.

haulnazz15

Captain

Kneeboarding = 20-25mph
Tubing = 15-30mph MAX (age/ability is paramount)
Skiing (two skies) = 22-25mph
Wakeboarding = ~20-24mph dependent on planing speed of boat for best wake
Slolam Skiing = 28-32mph

These are my general speed categories for most water sports. A seasoned skier/wakeboarder will be able to tell you to increase/decrease speed to their preference.