First time out with an I/O. Any advice?

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First time owning an inboard sterndrive boat. There is a 165 hp mercruiser in an 18' Cobalt tri hull. 1978.

Everything looks like its in good shape, runs well. What should I double check before heading out on the water?

So far I have refilled the tilt/trim pump using the recommended 5w20.

Driving advice? Trim advice?

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its hard to imagine this is the original engine. It looks fairly clean. Pretty sure my hour meter is not working correctly, but it says 8.5 hrs. How often are these engines rebuilt?

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you didn't drain the fuel tank to check for water bring an extra fuel filter. Charge the battery(s) in the morning, run it off muffs before you head out. Bring some tools along and a cell phone. Check your anchor and line. Make sure the drain plug is in.

Beer.

Good luck! I'd like a tri-hull someday. Any pics of your boat?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Check the bellows for cracking. A leaky bellows can sink your boat. While you are out keep a good eye in your bilge for water and make sure your bilge pump is working before launching.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Oh, with a stern drive, you don't want to run your boat with the trim too high.

thumpar

Admiral
Keep in mind that the drive have a water pump in it. The impeller needs to be changed regularly. If you don't know the history it might be a good idea to just change it. They are cheap and it is easy to do.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
^^^ Unless you know for sure the impeller was changed recently I would suggest pulling the outdrive and checking the condition of the bellows and engine alignment. (Read the stickies at the top of the page for this kind of basic info).

Drain the oil in the outdrive, do a pressure check, change the impeller, check the alignment, re-install outdrive, refill with gear oil Then you are good to go!

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Loved my in-line 6 tri-hull. Smoothest running engine I've ever owned. Low freeboard, good for skiers. But alas the hull turned into crap.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your hour meter may have died a long long time ago, however it is most likely the original engine. Most I/O motors outlive the hulls

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Really? That's good news. The hull is in great shape :) How often are these rebuilt?

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
D'oh! Went to the lake, dead battery!! What was that JaCrispy said? Oh, right.. charge the battery and run it on the muffs before heading out.

Well, at least now I have another whole week to get ready. Great.

Needless to say, I've been reading up on adding a second battery. This feels like one of those lessons you learn once and never forget.

Charged the battery back home, fired up within the first revolution. Sigh...

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First item: change outdrive oil. Can anyone tell me how much is going to fit into this 165 mercruiser? The tag on the back says 1.65R.

GM165

Seaman Apprentice
Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
The drive only holds about 1 2/3 quarts. Make sure you fill it from the bottom.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Buy 2 quarts, 'n change to the 2nd one,... Before the 1st one is empty, so ya don't pump in a big bubble of air,.....