First time boat owner

TrybalRage

Seaman
Hi everyone! Completely green boat owner here.

My hobbies until now are cars and ATV'ing, so now I'm adding one more motorsport into the mix. A guy at my work moved here (GA) from Missouri a year or so ago, and since his wife had a baby decided to move closer to home with a new job. He didn't feel like taking his boat with him, so I got it for a song (literally, the trailer is worth more than I paid).

She has some problems, it hasn't been run in over a year and when it last did the motor had a slight water leak (cracked manifold/head/gasket?) that *supposedly* had no effect on how it ran. We'll see when I tear it down.

It's a 16' with a Mercruiser 3.0L with an Alpha One outdrive.

The boat itself is a bit of a mystery to me. On the sides of the boat it says "Catalina", and under the make on the title it says 'Catal' (I'm assuming short for catalina), but there is no model number. I couldn't find anything else on it with a model name/number (I have to get back out and check the capacity tag). The HIN starts with the prefix "NMS". If anyone could offer any insight into the make/model/etc. of this boat I'd much appreciate it.

As I said, I'm completely green when it comes to boats. I have to learn everything regarding launching/retrieving, care, etc. But I have plenty of time to do some reading since it isn't exactly seaworthy at the moment.

Here are some obligatory pics, and yay for a new addiction!
frontkcg.jpg

sidebs.jpg

insidew.jpg

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: First time boat owner

MIC: NMS Status: Out of Business
Company: NEW MOON SAILING Company Official:
Parent Company: Parent MIC:
Address: PO BOX 352 City: CAPTIVA ISLAND
State: FL Zip: 33924
Fax: In Business: Monday, March 07, 1994
Out of Business: Monday, October 01, 2007 Date Modified: Wednesday, October 03, 2007
Type: Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon Boats
Sailboats, (with or without engine) Catamarans, Trimarans

Additional Address:
Comments: MIC HISTORY: PREVIOUSLY NORTHSIDE MERCURY MRNE--800 WEST BROADWAY MINNEAPOLIS MN 55411--DISTRICT 02--MSO ST LOUIS--MFR TYPES 11, 13-- DATES IN & OUT 1/1/73 AND 6/7/84--TELEPHONE (612)521-7623. RandyTrapp-RNI-EMAIL-030213- TELEPHONE WAS (813) 395-1782& MFG PKG MAILED-Mm. 10/1/2007 OOB PER PPG

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd check the fluids, charge the battery and fire it up on muffs. You may get lucky and find a loose hose clamp somewhere that needs to be tightened and be back in business. Looks like it's in decent shape. Hopefully the water was drained before the layup with the cold you've had down south. Get to the adults only section in the engine/io repair forum and find your manuals. Lots of good reading and welcome to the new hobby.
I just wish I had a rig to tow my camper, dirt bikes and boat.

dwco5051

Commander

Since you admit to being a gearhead you should be able to straighten out any problems this boat has. Everything forward of the transom you will be familiar with. That being said try to get the factory service manual. There are just enough differences to get a person in trouble. Don?t replace electrical components such as the starter and alternator with the automotive type. Marine stuff has built in spark arresting due to the closed environment it operates in. Water cooled exhaust manifolds will also be a new experience. The outdrive is nothing but bearings, gears, and shafts along with a bunch of seals. Remember your car differential does not normally operate submerged in water. Get the shop manual before attempting more than just minor maintenance.

Take a boating course through the USPS or USCGAUX. Not only will you learn the basics of safe boating but you will meet people with lots of boating knowledge who will be more than willing to share it with you.

Just remember that the 25 cent bolt you buy for your car costs 2 dollars for your boat or ten dollars if it?s for you airplane;)

Happy boating and welcome to our world.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

What part of GA are you in? What lake will you be on the most?

TrybalRage

Seaman

What part of GA are you in? What lake will you be on the most?

In Kennesaw, so probably Allatoona mostly. I just need to get in there in the off-season so I can practice my loading/unloading.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

In Kennesaw, so probably Allatoona mostly. I just need to get in there in the off-season so I can practice my loading/unloading.

Not wanting to turn this into a loading and unloading thread but dont sweat that part of it....As long as you are aware that people are waiting on you and you are trying to move things along people cut you alot of slack for being new at it....its the ones that stand around bs'ing and doing things at the ramp unrelated to loading or launching that get people mad. (although YOU will probably enjoy the experience more if you go on a quiet day!) Good luck with the boat.