first time boat floor restoration please help

chris04008

Cadet
Re: first time boat floor restoration please help

woody is correct.......i would really cut the rot out and replace it.....it would always be on my mind what is lurking under the deck !

a cheap way would be to rip up what is there. just cut the rot out, and sister the stringer with another piece of ply......than glass that in.

you actually dont look too bad....you caught it in time.....oh....by the way, its nice and clean under there.....did you dig the foam out your self?

Like others said, Remove entire deck and replace stringers. Often times you can just cut the cap off of the stringer and epoxy new wood in and cap with 4 Fiber Mat. This will save much time and money.. Just make sure the stringer height doesnt change or your deck wont line up correctly.

Good Luck there are many projects on here that show how to replace them.

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

[snip] he was very unhappy about how much i paid him for it... I've already ripped the floor out so its too late to consider selling and buying a new boat so I'm in this for the long haul.

We're glad to hear ya say that you're a long haul guy and you should know a couple of these fellas giving you the step by step so far, are generally considered masters of this craft. You will definitely get the coaching to get you through it once you find the extent of the damage. Now you brought up the subject of money and what you paid for this boat. If you put one thousand dollars of materials into this boat (a highly, almost unrealistically conservative number) assuming you don't have to buy any new tools or want any visual upgrades like new paint to call it done, your boat will only be worth what you thought it was worth when you bought it. The only difference will be you will have done all the work yourself and you will know it's done correctly and that it's solid. You will know its true value. Now that you got some good tearing into the deck going on you might take a look at FriscoBoater's YouTube channel for some visuals on how much work you're signing up for. It's a good idea to check your enthusiasm and make sure your heart is in it so you don't waste your time and money.

End of preachy post , , , now, lets get it on! :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

DD,
Where are you located? I have never seen an aluminum plate on the entire outside of a fiberglass transom and then aluminum plate on the inside. I would say someone in the past has tried to do some serious "Patching" to that boat, instead of doing the "Right" thing and replacing the transom back to factory specs or better. I highly suspect that your transom is toast and the boat is "Un-Safe" I strongly recommend you investigate this transom a great deal and then do the right thing.

Grizzz

Cadet

1110111348-01.jpg
Doing an old boat right now, notice the stringers are all new.

dingodan

Cadet

how do i check the transoms condition without wrecking it

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The "meat" of your transom is about 1.5" of plywood (two 3/4" sheets laminated together). Yours is probably rotted which is why it was reinforced with aluminum. This is not uncommon.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

how do i check the transoms condition without wrecking it

From the inside of the boat, use a 3/8" drill and tape off the drill approx 1" deep. this will keep you from drilling all the way through the transom. Drill at various places along the bottom of the transom and 6" above. Check your shavings. If they are dry then good. Wet or damp and you will be replacing. I'm 95% certain your transom is bad. IMHO There would be no other reason to put the aluminum plate on the boat except to attempt to beef up a rotting and weakened transom.

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Dan, I thought we had lost you there for good after oops! made his prognostication. In looking at the transom pics you have posted so far and it does not look like there is any fiberglass skin covering the inside surface of the transom. The drill bit sampling method is for when you can't tell by simpler techniques. If you can pull/pinch off bits of wood with your fingers or you can push a butter knife or screwdriver into the softening wood that will be damning enough evidence w/o the biopsy. The missing float foam (pour foam) and lousy stringer work and visual evidence heretofore mitigate the likelihood of good news. Hey! Take your camera in there with ya. :)

dingodan

Cadet

hey yea i know it looks that way hard to see but there is a fiberglass skin but i will try drilling in a little bit to check. i had to take a few days off cuz I'm really allergic to epoxy and got a bad reaction but ill get back in there soon i hope

dingodan

Cadet

IMG_0847.jpgIMG_0848.jpg
so i drilled these holes the one with more holes is right above the floor board and the one above that is about 9 inches above it. looks like the upper one is showing some early signs of rot. what the hell do i do now... do i bother with this restoration on a boat i payed 1500 on or do i abort and find another. how would i know what condition that boats wood was in. i wanna make sure this is worth it before i dive in. how much do these restorations usually end up costing?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

View attachment 122152View attachment 122153
how much do these restorations usually end up costing?

Depends...First you need to decide if you like the boat well enuf to keep it if it was 100% sound. If you like the style and look then it might be worth it. A rough Guess - Ti - Mate would be $1500 to $2500 bucks so with your original 1500 that would bring you up to about $4000 but...
When you're done, she'd be like new or better and would last for decades. Where you gunna buy a boat in like new condition for that kind of money. And like you say, it IS hard to know for sure what you're getting no matter what you pay or how hard you try.

We WILL help you and you CAN do this but again it's your decision and it should be made on how much you like the boat and do you want to invest the time and money in her. I asked you once before, but you might not have seen it, where are you located?

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

?Is it worth the trouble? is a very good question, because it is indeed a great deal of toil and trouble. No one can adequately describe the torturous fiberglass grinding phase. This is a part of the project that may present as particularly hazardous to you, because you mention having an allergy or hypersensitivity to the material. This factor alone presents you to be an unlikely candidate due to the high risk of at least some to moderate skin exposure. This would be one of your first obstacles to figure out after you decide you really like the boat enough to invest the time and money into a restoration.

Other questions for your consideration:
Do you have the space to do the work out of the weather?
Do you have the time?
What do you expect to achieve in the end?

I offer up that last question because for me it was a sudden realization that after I spend a considerable amount of money on a bunch of materials to restore my boat structurally, it will still be an ugly little bass boat.
I?ll figure I?ll press Woody or one of these other guys into talking me through a paint job and some other mods and I know I?ll find love by the end of it.

OK then, how about we see a pic of this boat of yours. Don?t be shy because I can already tell your purchase did not come with a pile of leaves in it the way most resto-projects start, mine included.

If you have not done so already, read through a couple of these resto threads. You'll at least see a bit of what you'd be in for.
As an alternative there are some wily guys around here that will boast of having these silly little tin boats. Don't engage them, don't make eye-contact, don't even let them hand you their little religious pamphlet. Just walk away :D

dingodan

Cadet

only going to be in the ocean docked 24/7 during the summer... I'm thinking about getting a 20' cuddy and putting work into that instead... anyone know what to look out for with those?

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is lots of info on the forum but you need to look for it with the search feature.
Try the advanced search link and enter your search terms. http://forums.iboats.com/search.php?searchid=1944910 comes from searching buying+cuddy The plus sign retrieves threads with both words in the title. Think of it like the word "and". You might do yourself the favor of looking critically at a good number of boats just to get good at looking at boats critically.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

As an alternative there are some wily guys around here that will boast of having these silly little tin boats. Don't engage them, don't make eye-contact, don't even let them hand you their little religious pamphlet. Just walk away :D

Okay, that's stinking funny right there....