First post and yep...its a help please tread!

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone, nice to finally post up in here. I have had several boats and this site has always been my go to gudie for repair.

Sorry guys, I am still kinda new hear. thanks for all your help and I will try better to understand the way to post here.

I bought a 1990 50hp outboard. When I give it any more than about a quarter gas it will feel like its slipping. Almost like I hit ice in a car... The prop looks like its in good condition, and the shear pin is intact. Do these outboards have prop hubs as well that I need to be concerned with? If I baby her up to speed I can get up to full speed I guess...maybe 27. But thats in a 14' fiberglass jon boat. Shouldnt i be getting more than that? Boat doesnt weigh anything at all. Anyway major thing is just that i cant plane off without moving everything up front including myself. Like i said it feels like the prop engages then deengages from the water...and there is alot of foam and air coming from the prop. And no...there is no plate there above the prop. I thought that was the skeg. If its a plate, can I just block it off? I thought that was just where the exhaust gas came out. Thanks for your help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: First post and yep...its a help please tread!

After rereading several times it sounds to me like you are ventilating the prop.

Check that the anti-ventilation plate (just above the prop) is about even with the bottom of your boat. Most people call it a cavitation plate.

If the prop can grab air from the surface it generates a lot of foam and spray and can't get a grip. . . sort of like spinning wheels in a car when you get on ice.

The problem with your post is that you include too much information that doesn't help understand your problem. That confuses the reader.

Let us know what you find, and good luck. :)

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

if the piece ABOVE your prop is missing you may have an issue ... thats the cavitation plate and if its missing u may be pulling in to much foam/air like jb said .... now if you meant he skeg is missing from the BOTTOM of the gear box that will not cause the issue you are having.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok!!! I think I may have found my issue!!! LOL. Searched again, and looked at a detail, and this thing is missing from my outboard!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=218835

this is the link to the page I found on here. Heres a link to the part I think I need, can anyone confirm this is the actuall part i need? the tread says its a 3" round cap like thing...but mines almost five inches long and only around two inches wide. THANKS!!!

http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingStore/browse_detail3.cfm/productID/44056.cfm

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heres a pic off here of the hole i have where the snout should go...

Attachments

• IMAGE_089.jpg
    IMAGE_089.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

That looks like the correct part. P/N 817795A-1. You'll need two stainless steel 1/4 X 20 bolts that are 7/8" long to bolt it on if yours are missing.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That looks like the correct part. P/N 817795A-1. You'll need two stainless steel 1/4 X 20 bolts that are 7/8" long to bolt it on if yours are missing.

Sweet Thanks! Didnt know what kind of bolt pattern those would have but you did that for me! LOL...Thanks!

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well guys, after a huge and long search i finally found that friggin piece! I found it online only to be told they had it yeah...but would not sell it even though they had it listed for sale...lol....found it everywhere else as NLA...no longer avalible. And after about three hours of looking in ALL the local places I finally found one place with a little guy who said he may have one!

Well a two hour drive later i was hearbroken when i see the "one" he has. Rotted out and barely even able to be bolted up. After seeing my disapointment however the little guy said follow me...We walked through a graveyard at least two blocks long! He took me right to a foot of a force like mine and there it was!!! Brand new! Still had a plastic sticker on the side where it was put on and never put in the water!!! Plus he only wanted $20 for it. Oh man was I happy. I just knew I was going to spend the weekend trying to fab up something that would work.

Thanks go to all of you who posted up and helped me find out what was causing my problem. My issue is completely cured and I was on the lake for over an hour today! man I have to say I love this board!

One thing I am kinda wondering though...I have a 14' fiberglass tri hull. made by astro glass. The motor is pushing it well, but only up to 28mph...the prop is stock and to the best of my knowledge is what came on it. I know this isnt alot but after looking I can not see any marks on it to tell what size or pitch it is. Just wondering if this sounds about right, thats all. thanks!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Sometime the size and pitch are on the center part of the hub. If there is a large washer under the prop nut, it may be hiding the numbers.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok sweet! Just looked for the fun of it and it says 11x12...what does that mean? thats all it says anywhere on the whole prop. I thought there were more numbers than that?

Basically i dont load the boat down, its got me and one other guy in it along with one battery and a six gallon tank. i fish with it and thats it. I just want the top speed I can get out of it, imagine that....lol. What size prop should I get? If that would help anyway. i am looking at all the info on here, but it really kinda confuses me.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

That means it's 11 inches in diameter and a 12 pitch. To get the best performance, you need to know what RPM you are turning and what MPH you are going and type of hull. Best to post a question in the Prop Forum, but without those specs, you cannot determine the best prop.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you. I will do so now.