First oil change using suction pump on 2.3 problems

Renken1

Cadet
Re: First oil change using suction pump on 2.3 problems

Thanks for the replys everyone. I actually went to Harbor Freight Tools and bought a manual oil removal pump for $16.00. Its the same size as a grease gun, and it had some wicked vaccumm! It came with some clear rubber line about 3/8id and I was able to just press it against the base of the opening adapter and it pulled all the oil out cold ( 70* day ).

Thanks everyone again for their time and attention!! Thats part of why this site is so great, no matter what the problem / question is there are members here willing to help out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bruce.... My best answer is ignorance I guess. No mention of it in my owners manual and no internet in 89. I was curious why the top of the dipstick tube had a garden hose fitting. My method has always worked....
Once you do the garden hose way, you will see how easy and clean it is.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Once you do the garden hose way, you will see how easy and clean it is.
Thanks Bruce. I'll follow your lead. I do have to use the dipstick method on my jet boat - can't get to the plug. I have a Harbor Freight pump for that. I guess it would save some time to get the proper OMC set up for it's application.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I actually use something like this now with my Volvo that has the exact pump out setup:

Jabsco Porta Quick Oil Changer - 17800-2000

Less chance of spilling in the boat especially with pumping out 8 qts with my 7.4L.

Even with the manual pump, you will wonder why you haven't done this before!

Make sure you always warm up your engine first. Makes the withdrawal faster and easier on the pump.

Last edited: